This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Some of my favorite ways to relax and unwind is to pull out my switch and play games. Oftentimes you can find me playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons searching for another fossil or the biggest fish in the fishing tourney. However, as much as I love playing on my own to put my mind at rest, sharing in the fun with my friends is my favorite way to get to know people. Playing video games with friends allows you to learn so much more about people. Here are some of my personal favorites to play with my friends. 

Quiplash 

In this game, you get to sit back, relax, and laugh at all the hilarious jokes your friends make. My favorite part about this game is you get to learn the different humors of all your friends because each answer is generated by them for the group to enjoy. Also, it allows many people to join in and participate in the laughs. Up to 8 people can join using their phones to submit their weird and wacky responses, and even if there are too many people you can join in on the voting process to root for your favorite response. This is truly a game where you can allow yourselves to let loose and crack some insider jokes that’ll put everyone in a good mood. 

W7OpDPRk7FObhHhnB 3Ovt9 tZvgXqVcQlkiZLdQJI0G7r7 cMBeeuer0kh

Image Source: Bleeding Cool

Mariokart

This game is a classic. It allows you to see how competitive your friends are and lightheartedly compete with the grand prix. Also, laughing and playfully fighting over each other’s characters boosts the mood of the night. This game is customizable to the speed, character, cart, and way you want to enjoy the game. If you have some pent-up aggression and you need to pop some balloons, well the balloon battle is just for you. Sneak up on your friends and burst their balloon, or better yet grab a speed mushroom and steal it! This game is an immense amount of fun and can be adapted to your own rules to never leave you and your friends bored. 

ZAsz8Z7a3HH5hOWDJnqvnxGrT4G3aXrNUS98n9adt3uZQNZDsl8PqaQlKB1n8oWyrRuuKdetjMFOMUPi9wlvX9riTWJEKyJARQvW38Xe I10jqcmo0BtjX eloiymnzfD A7Q2kHcMhO1qFo86T5KmM

Image Source: Best Buy

Mario Party

This game is an upgraded version of every board game you have ever played. Competing against friends in mini-games to get the most coins so that you can be crowned the winner with the most stars, always leads to fun competition amongst friends. Stealing stars from friends is sure to cause some playful arguments among friends. This game allows you to see the competitiveness and comradery of the group. Also, if you don’t want to play a full board game, minigames are always a great way to liven up the mood for the night. 

lYhj71u7N9Z6cKD7OoUKztVP1FaKjFE7tuvFNAIsLbRyYFOi9UU IF v9WLO1X y zXOVhvpv5Xr8VTcTY7O9HOxYG0zWnenK8G tBcQP GVM9S GO0FBinL4HAaoysKWg4GOKBhE5mR0ZOmo1BPEY

Image Source: Walmart

While I could go on for days about the best games to play with friends, these are truly staples that everyone should own for a fun night in or to start the night off on a happy note. I hope these become part of bonding with friends, roommates, and possibly even new friends. One thing is for sure, there’s nothing like enjoying quality time with friends and sharing in laughter.

Ryann Young

Merrimack '24

Major: Psychology Minor: Health Science Transfer student from Rollins College