Anti Valentine’s Day Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.
There is one day of the year that deserves an award for making the female population come to a complete divide in terms of their emotional stability, and this day is right around the corner.

While half of the female population is dressing up, getting flowers, and going to Bertucci’s for dinner with their boyfriend, whom is so incredibly in love with them, the rest of us will be in our dorm rooms … probably convincing ourselves that we are completely content being alone. That’s right ladies, Valentine’s Day is almost here.

For you single ladies that aren’t into a day dedicated to over the top love and feelings, I’m right there with you (that is until prince charming comes around.) But instead of moping around, eating chocolate and crying your eyes out to The Notebook, do something fun! Look around and you will see that not everyone is with Mr. Right, so you have plenty of people to hang out with.

This year rather than being depressed, get together with your girlfriends and watch some classic anti-valentines day movies; plenty of producers have felt the same way as you and turned it into a movie … just for you!

If you’re looking for a little Ryan Gosling without the perfect love story, look no further. ‘Blue Valentine’ stars Ryan Gosling as Dean and Michelle Williams as Cindy, a young married couple that are dealing with a dysfunctional and crumbling relationship. Dean is a high school drop-out that comes from a less than picture perfect home, lacking a mother figure. He never thought or believed he could fall in love, while Cindy was undoubtedly the woman for him. Cindy a nurse, also from a broken home has a hard time viewing Dean based on her past. Dean’s drinking problems and lack of ambition drive their marriage into the rocks. Although this movie has its romantic moments, it definitely shows how love can so easily disintegrate.

The Break-Up stars Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn as a couple whose relationship has recently ended. The only thing holding Brooke and Gary together is their shared condo, which they’re both too stubborn to move out of. In order to drive each other up the wall with jealousy, the two start an outrageous sex war. After the situation escalates beyond either ones control, they throw in the towel and say enough is enough. Although one could qualify this as a romantic comedy, it isn’t your stereotypical happy ending love story.

In American Beauty, starring Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening, Lester Burnham is a depressed suburban father who decides to turn his disheveled life around. Feelings ignite with his attraction to his daughter’s attractive friend. As his midlife crisis unwinds, lives begin to change and not for the better. This dark drama is perfect for those of you trying to find faults in the white picket fence love story. As bizarre as it sounds, it almost makes you feel good about being single.

Regardless of your relationship status come February 14th, make it a good one. If you’re not going to be out with a special someone, make a bowl of popcorn and get together with the girls to watch one of these classic anti-love stories. Don’t mope over the fact that you’re not with Mr. Right, embrace how much more fun you can have and be sure to live it up!