21 Days To Redefine Your Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Twenty-one, seems to be a great number, but most people view it as a great number because it allows you to hit the bars, go clubbing, and make packie runs with no issues. However, perhaps there is a cooler aspect to twenty-one behind liquor. Twenty-one is the amount of days it takes to break or make a habit, so this is a little bit of a challenge for you to define the importance and redefine your habits. Within three weeks you can change your strengths and weaknesses by making a conscious effort and taking advantage of resources on campus.

With spring break two weeks away girls are definitely hitting the gym more often, and although starting now with forming a new habit may not get you a bikini bod just yet, starting now in early march can definitely have you swimsuit ready for when the summer months are calling!

Rather than focusing on bad habits and the negatives, look for the positives in defining new habits and pick areas of your life you want to better. The first thing is mark a calendar and figure out when are you starting. Once you have your timeline set you need to make goals. Going to the gym everyday is a great way to form a new habit. Although it can be crowded and time consuming, hitting the gym is always a good option and will help you clear your mind and stay healthy. The gym here on campus offers so many classes and the instructors are pretty cool too!

Next step is to work on eating habits and saying no to those guilty pleasure foods. It is hard to say no at Sparky’s and that is no secret. With a constant supply of waffles ,whipped cream, and hot fresh home fries your eyes are often bigger than your stomach. The unlimited supply of pizza, pasta, french fries, and ice cream is no help either, especially without your parents here to remind you to eat your veggies. Although it may not be as delicious, switching your eating habits will definitely help!

For the next three weeks look to eat a little cleaner and by day twenty-two it will be second nature. Rather than a fresh belgian waffle, visit Manny at the omelet station and get egg whites and some veggies with a piece of wheat toast and some fruit. At lunch have a salad or a wrap without excessive dressing. As for dinner, have vegetables but a bowl of pasta or one slice of pizza won’t hurt you at all.

Redefining habits and moving to a healthier lifestyle is great to try and get a friend to jump on board with you. Changing habits is a lot easier when you have someone by your side motivating you to stay on track. Although tedious at first, these little changes will create big benefits in the long run, making you feel healthier and look better.