You Won’t Believe It! (2014 Fashion Trends)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Surprisingly, the new year is only about five weeks away! That may seem like a while, but, trust me, it’ll fly by.  And you definitely don’t want to get behind on all the new fashion trends happening in 2014! I’m sure you remember the great fashion trends from 2013 such as sheer clothing, flatform shoes, and leather dresses. 

While I’m sure we will all miss those fabulous trends, it’s time to clear out your closet and make way for 2014 fashion. I’m bringing you the hottest looks that you’ll see in stores during the next year.

Mesh is totally hot right now. It made a comeback earlier this year with more dresses and shirts featuring little patches of mesh. But, in 2014, get ready for all-out mesh clothing. I’m talking total mesh body con clothes. While this is a style you wouldn’t wear around your grandparents, or your parents, or in class, or at work, or really anywhere it all, it is definitely the hottest thing in fashion for 2014. 

Clogs are BACK! Aren’t you excited?! If you love the discomfort of high heels without the aspects of fashion, you’re going to love this new trend. These wooden shoes originated in the Netherlands. Many are hand decorated in creative colors with scenes depicting Dutch culture. These shoes are a bit of a challenge to pair with formal wear, casual wear, and…well, any type of wear…but they look GREAT with a folk skirt and Dutch-style hat. These are the next big thing in footwear, get your pair soon! Or, if they seem a little too out of your price-range, you can try hand-carving your own personalized clogs!

Just in time for Thanksgiving, it has been announced that pilgrim apparel will be making its way in stores next spring! It’s a fashion the entire family can enjoy. There’s also a variety of options that you can mix and match to pull off this hot style. You can pair a floor-length black skirt with a buckle belt and bonnet, or a floppy buckle hat, floor-length black pants, and white cufflinks. 

Nerdy gals and guys rejoice! Superhero inspired outfits are now in style. I’m not talking about wearing a Batman t-shirt. I’m talking about full-on cosplay. Cosplay, for those that don’t know, is a new trend that has swept popular culture over the last few years. Cosplayers dress up as their favorite characters from comics, tv shows, and video games. But it doesn’t stop there: you have to be the character you are portraying. These costumes vary from futuristic activewear to elaborate ballroom gowns.  What’s really awesome about this look is that it gives you the chance to be creative! Most cosplayers make their own outfits by hand. So, while many cookie-cutter styles will be featured in stores, you can scan Pinterest to create your own looks!

So there you have it! Some of the hottest looks for 2014. And, if you thought some of these looks aren’t your taste, then DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT. Fashion is completely subjective. Don’t feel like you need to jump on the bandwagon and like trends just because they’re “in style”. 

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson