What to Watch out for on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

October is upon us once again, and this year it seems even more Halloween-y then ever before. There are tons of new scary or Halloween-themed movies and TV shows coming out this season. Just to name a few new movies there’s Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, The Possession, Sinister, and House at the End of the Street. 

I have yet to actually see any of these new movies (I’ve actually never seen a scary movie in theaters…yes I’m a big chicken), but I’ve heard that most of these are well worth the $13 to go see. There’s also a bunch of TV shows and TV channels that are framing themselves around Halloween. ABC Family for instance is bringing back their annual 13 Nights of Halloween starting every night on Oct. 19-31. ABC Family is also having specials on their channel from shows such as Beverly Hills Nannies, Switched at Birth, and Pretty Little Liars.

Watching these new shows and movies is definitely not the only way to get into the Halloween spirit. For me, I love going back to watch all my favorite old scary movies. One movie that I would definitely recommend would be, Van Helsing. It’s a classic Halloween movie with vampires, werewolves, and of course, Van Helsing himself. It’s the movie I’ve watched every year on Halloween night since it came out on DVD in middle school.

Another older movie I’ve enjoyed watching for Halloween is The Village. It’s got just enough suspense in it to keep you interested, but it’s not out-of-your-mind scary either. The Thing is also a wonderfully creepy and scary movie for Halloween. There’s technically two movies with the same name: the original The Thing movie from 1982 and a prequel The Thing movie from 2011. Both are great to watch and you can watch them in any order. I like watching the original first, and then let the prequel explain and connect with what happened in the original.

I’ve also started watching the infamous Walking Dead series on the AMC channel. The third season premier just began on Oct. 14. I had watched only pieces of different episodes at first, and could not quite grasp why there was so much hype about it. Well, I finally sat down and watched that third season premier and I’m hooked. I’m definitely getting into a fantastic Halloween mood from watching this show. 

Zombies = PERFECT for Halloween Spirit

So if you decide not to go trick-or-treating or to a party, you can still celebrate Halloween with these great shows and movies. Go gather up your friends and family, and make some popcorn, and enjoy Halloween!

Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!