Much More Than a Homecoming King: Alex Lockwood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Major/Minor: Economics and Finance Major / Concentration in Leadership & Service / Minor in Statistics

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Favorite Mercer memory: Being voted homecoming king this year – I was definitely not expecting it and was completely humbled and honored.

What are you involved in: RUF, Mercerians for Liberty, SGA, The Cluster (sports photography and opinions pieces), and Hoffman’s Hooligans. I’m also a Service Scholar and an SI for Economics.

Describe an ideal first date: Pretty simple – cooking dinner together, going for a walk or playing a fun game, and just chatting it up to get to know each other better.

Hometown: Ringgold, GA

Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird

Top 3 TV Shows:

1. Seinfeld

2. The Office

3. Modern Family

What do you do with your free time outside of school and campus activities: Being outdoors – whether I’m running, cycling, or hiking, playing and listening to music, discussing politics, grilling tasty food, and reading good books.

Favorite characteristic (physical or personality wise) about yourself: Ability to let loose and forget about work when I’m around friends and be really ridiculous and goofy.

Most romantic thing you have ever done for a girl you were interested in? Woke up early, bought bagels and coffee, and brought them back to her on campus so that we could share breakfast.

Best childhood movie: As a kid I loved basketball, so of course Space Jam. The “secret stuff,” a legit soundtrack, and Michael Jordan’s outstretched arm for the win! I wore out that VHS and treasured the commemorative coin that came with it.

Top four things to do before you die:

1. Run a marathon

2. Visit all 7 continents

3. Write and publish a book

4. Build a dark room for photography at my house

Life motto: Micah 6:8 “And what does the Lord require of you? To do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God”

What is the most attractive thing a girl can do: Appreciate good music.

Your future goals and ambitions: Complete a doctorate degree in economics and teach at a college similar to Mercer, be a super awesome husband and father to some kiddies, and play a small part in easing some of the pain and suffering in the world.

Most confusing thing girls do: Ask questions that are really traps and have no good answers. It’s simply unfair. What do they expect? What do they want? AHH!

Do you have or would you ever get any tattoos? If so what? Nopers. I’m not saying never, but I just don’t see myself

One thing you want to share with Mercer: “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations – these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit – immortal horrors or everlasting splendors. This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously – no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption.” – C.S. Lewis

Olivia is a Business Major at Mercer University, pursuing a degree in Management and a minor in Marketing. With love for the arts she aspire to someday open her own bakery and non-profit organization for the arts. With a passion for all thing in life she hopes to spread the joy of community and creativity.