A Man of Many Talents: Alex Preston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Age: 21

Year: Senior with Graduation in May

Major: Media Studies and Theater Arts

Future Profession: I would be an Actor

Secret Talent: I like to draw and paint. 

Favorite Color: Turquoise

Favorite Food: Wavers between Mexican and Sushi

One place I would go in a heartbeat: Australia, because their accents are sexy and they have the beach and their culture is similar.

Favorite Music to Dance to: Hip Hop

Involvement: Served on the Executive Board of Dance Revolution during his freshman year, President during his sophomore and junior year as well as a current member of Mercer 99, Member of Mercer Cheer since his sophomore year, current QuadWorks Director of Marketing, an involved member of Common Ground, Interim President during Fall of Senior year as well as a Member of SCJ (Society for Collegiate Journalist), A member of Mercer Math, Worked at the Marketing Department in communications since freshman year as a Digital Media Technician, and lastly he earned a Theater Award for the W.G. Lee Scholarship. (We know he is kind of ridiculous in a I-want-to-grow-up-to-be-just-like-him kind of way).

Favorite Mercer Memory: I got a unique opportunity to travel with the Mercer Cheerleading team to the CIT tournament in Logan, Utah. That was a really neat experience; it was very tiring but also really rewarding. We got up at 4:30 and would travel constantly until we arrived at Logan Utah. Hours and hours of driving and flying. He is a “cheerleading manager”

Hopes & Dreams: My biggest hope is to be able to dance on Broadway. I am a dancer of 18 years, I have trained in every dance, and I do it all, I like to think I am pretty well rounded.

If we can get down to the nitty girtty of why dear Alex is our Campus Celebrity (beyond his sparkiling personality, amazing dance moves, or future profession) it is because for his senior project Alex decided to create a film and here is the process described in his own words: 

The movie started as an idea. Well when I started the movie I knew I wanted to do something I would enjoy for my senior project, but I also wanted to be able to integrate something from both of my specializations. So when I thought of a project that required experience from both theater and my media studies, I guess a film came to mind. I was thinking about what I could with a film that wouldn’t demand such a huge budget that it was out of my reach, and also I knew it had to take place on a college campus because there is an accessibility factor that has to be there. I can’t just throw that under the bus, I have to realize that I won’t have the money to pay for travel expenses; I am going to have to shoot the majority of the film on campus. 

So going into it I knew there were already some limitations of the setting and who the characters are. It would have to be about a group of college students or college age students. I also began thinking about theme and what could be different about my film, because I think that is sort of the art of film making, bringing a new angle to an old story.  Recycling what has already been created. I was in a film over the summer about a bunch of college aged students who underwent a mishap at a party and what ended up happening was there was more than one of the same person, and so I thought about that theme and wondered how I could engage it thematically into my situation. The two films however are drastically different. I have always been told to write about what you know, so I decided to make the main character into a similar situation that I am in, she is doing her senior project (we won’t give all the dirty details away but this film is worth keeping an eye out for).

The whole process began in the beginning of Fall 2012. He submitted the project proposal in mid-September, it was accepted, and the screen play was finished at the end of Christmas Break totaling at 87 pages and filming began the first weekend of the semester.

For more information check out: https://www.facebook.com/LookA…

To pledge support: http://www.kickstarter.com/pro…

Olivia is a Business Major at Mercer University, pursuing a degree in Management and a minor in Marketing. With love for the arts she aspire to someday open her own bakery and non-profit organization for the arts. With a passion for all thing in life she hopes to spread the joy of community and creativity.