This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus became available for purchase on September 19, but which one is the “best”? Which one should you consider buying? With all of the technology jargon flying around, it can be difficult for a consumer to know which one is really the best for them.  That’s where I come in.  I’m going to break down the jargon so that you can know exactly what it is you’re buying when the time comes for an upgrade.

Last year, with the introduction of the iPhone 5s, we saw the inclusion of Touch ID into the Home button, which is Apple’s way of saying “We put in a fingerprint scanner.” They kept that feature in the 6 and 6 Plus.  That’s pretty much the end of the similarities between the devices and the 5s.  The 6 and 6 Plus both have been redesigned with rounded edges and longer volume buttons as well as moving the Lock button from the top to the right side of the phones; which makes it easier to use them with just one hand.  Why worry about using it with one hand?  Well, the biggest difference between these new phones and the previous installations is larger screens than ever! The 6 has a 4.7” screen and the 6 Plus has a 5.5” screen while the iPhone 5 has a 4” screen. 

The phones come in 16 GB, 64GB, and 128GB. When signing a two year contract with Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T the 6 is priced at $199, $299, and $399 and the 6Plus prices are $299, $399, and $499. If you sign with T-Mobile, the prices start at $649 with no contractApple also offers all models in the same colors as the 5S: Silver, Gold, and Space Gray.  Both models are thinner than the iPhone 5S and are designed so that text appears sharp and clear.   One great feature of the displays is that both models have a wider viewing angle than previous models. Now you can show more friends than ever before that hilarious video you recorded last night!  They also have a better processor than before, which will allow you to have more apps running simultaneously.  The 6 Plus has optical image stabilization.  Typically the lens moves front to back for the zoom.  In the 6 Plus, it also moves side to side and up and down.  What this means for you is that the phone will correct movement and you will not have look at blurry photos or videos anymore! Also, the front and the back cameras are better so your “selfies” and “us-ies” will look better when compared to previous models because of something called Focus Pixels.   Apple has also joined in the world of Near Field Communication (NFC), which allows your device to communicate with other NFC enabled devices.  What Apple has done to make that better than what is currently available, they dub as ApplePay.  When you go to an ApplePay retailer, you can use your phone to pay instead of digging in your purse, pulling out your wallet, swiping your card, punching in your pin… you get the picture. Just pull out your phone, and use the TouchID to confirm your payment.  Both phones are quality devices but your choice is really between the larger screen and auto-stabilization, or the smaller screen and cheaper price tag.

So honestly, this is going to come down to personal preference; decide which features you need! Apple has actually given you several choices now! Happy shopping!!