Homecoming 2013 Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Start coordinating your calendars to make sure you can attend all the awesome events going on during Homecoming Week! I’m here to tell you when and where the events are being held and why you definitely should go.

Picture on the Plaza

When:  8:00 PM, Sunday, November 17th

Where: Cruz Plaza

Why: Who doesn’t love a good movie night? Be sure to bring a blanket, some snacks, and a few friends to watch the hit comedy Pitch Perfect with your fellow Mercerians.

Singing Bee

When: 7:00 PM, Monday, November 18th

Where: Willingham

Why: In a spinoff of the television show Don’t Forget the Lyric, where contestants must fill in the lyrics from songs of all different genres, Mercer students will be taking on this karaoke style challenge to see who will be the champion of the Singing Bee. There’s sure to be lots of singing, laughter, and yes, catching your friends in embarrassing moments that you really can’t miss.

Lip Sync Competition

When: 7:00 PM, Tuesday, November 19th

Where: Willingham

Why: In this skit style competition, groups of Mercer students will have to perfectly lip sync to popular songs. Not only will there be tacky lip syncing, but groups go all-out with costumes and dance routines. It’s kind of like Glee, only with people you know who are nowhere close to being professional singers/dancers.

Dormtainment

When: 7 PM, Wednesday, November 20th

Where: Willingham

Why: If you need a laugh (come on, everyone needs a laugh), you can’t miss this event, featuring Dormtainment.  Dormtainment is a comedy group made up of six best friends who understand the struggles of college life. They specialize in college-based humor and relate to all the facades of college living.

Mercer’s Got Talent

When: 7:00 PM, Thursday, November 21st

Where: Newton Chapel

Why: Make sure to go and support your friends and fellow students as they showcase their talents and compete for a chance to win an awesome prize. The event is being co-sponsored by Mercer University’s Service Scholars, and all ticket sales will go towards [I still have to find this out, don’t worry, I will!]. Tickets cost $3 in advanced, $5 at the door.

Parade, Skit Competition, and Pep Rally

When: 7:00, 8:30, and 9:30, Friday, November 22nd

Where: Cruz Plaza

Why: Get ready for the game day and enjoy one of the biggest events during Homecoming Week! Cheer on the Mercer Bears during the parade, watch groups of student organizations compete in the skit competition, and take part in the yearly pep rally.

The Games

When: 12:00 PM (Basketball), 4:00 PM (Football), Saturday, November 23rd

Where: Hawkins Arena and Mercer University Stadium

Why:  This is what the entire week has been about: getting pumped up and ready to cheer our basketball and football teams to victory! Homecoming King and Queen crowing will take place during halftime of the football game. Make sure to get your tickets before hand at [I don’t know where the tickets will be given out, I don’t know if Quadworks even knows]. 

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson