Heather Phillips ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Name: Heather Phillips
Year: Senior, 2012
Major: Art, Studio Emphasis
Minor: History

HerCampus: Where are you originally from?
Heather: I grew up in Kennesaw, GA

HC: What made you choose your major in Art?
Heather: I’ve been painting and drawing ever since I can remember. Producing art makes me happy. I always want to improve and try new and different things with the human figure. I chose art because I could not imagine my life without it.

HC: What inspires you?
Heather: My mom is a big influence in my life. Her loving strength inspires me. I often find that reminding myself of how far I’ve come in life also inspires me. I have so much to be thankful for. Similarly, stories of strength often inspire my art work.

HC: What clubs and/or honor societies are you involved with? Do you hold any officer positions?
Heather: I’m actively involved with Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity and currently serve as the Public Relations chair. I’m also a member of Phi Eta Sigma National Honor society, The Mercer Art Club, The Organization of Black students, and Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society.

HC: What is a word that you would use to describe yourself?
Heather: Determined. I’ve always been willing to work hard to achieve my goals. Sometimes it can be hard to tell me “no” when I have my heart set on something.

HC: What is your motto/ phrase that keeps you going?
Heather: “Happiness is the experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley. This quote reminds be to be grateful for what I have in times of hardship and to look at others with love despite their faults.

HC: What is a song that would be on the soundtrack of your life?
Heather: “Superwoman” by Alicia Keys. This is such a powerful song. I’m not saying I am superwoman, but that is who I strive to be.

HC: What’s your favorite food?
Heather: I love sweets, virtually anything with chocolate, but fried chicken is also quite delicious.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?
Heather: I try to paint as much as possible in my spare time. When I’m not painting, I spend quality time with friends watching movies, catching up, and often drawing them.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?
Heather: I plan on obtaining a Master of Fine Arts degree in painting and possibly teaching at a college level afterwards.

Hometown: Moultrie, GA College: Mercer University I come from a small town in the real South. I have always loved writing, and now, I am studying Journalism at Mercer. Look out for me. I have big dreams, and I am not backing down. I am a mystery just waiting to be solved.