Future Reporter: Avery Braxton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Full name? Avery Braxton

Classification? Sophomore

Major? Journalism

Hobbies? Poetry, basketball, multimedia presentations

Campus involvement? Point B.L.A.N.K. Spoken Word Coalition Secretary, CCJ Student Advisory Board Vice President, Women’s Basketball Practice Team, Organization of Black Students member, Mercer Video Productions Student Leader

What do you want to do after you graduate? After graduation I would like to report for a major television station and eventually anchor ESPN’s Sportscenter.

Favorite thing about Mercer? I love how diverse Mercer is. Because it’s such a small school it gives you the chance to meet and really get to know a variety of people from all background. Mercer is like a big family and I love that aspect. 

Who/what inspires you the most to keep working hard? I’m inspired by Stuart Scott, the late ESPN Sportscaster and reporter. He was a rolemodel of mine and was a major part of my inspiration to go into sports journalism. I’m extremely self-motivated as well. I really want to succeed for myself and for my family. I want to make them proud.

If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you go? If I could be anywhere in the world it would probably be on a beach somewhere with something cold to drink and someone I can have a great conversation with. Hawaii comes to mind, haha. 

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.