Fun Nail and Makeup Ideas for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Nail art and makeup have become two of the biggest fashion trends in the past few years. These forms of beauty used to revolve around matching an outfit or simple ideas. Lately, nails and makeup have been inspired by themes from Disney movies to glittery shades of one color. So why not combine the new themed ideas to match the outfit?

Since Halloween is around the corner, there are ways to play up your costumes with simple makeup and nail art. You can play around with the styles suggested to make yourself look sexy or spooky.

1. Conniving Cat
Makeup

There are a few ways to display the simple cat look. One idea is to curve the end of black eyeliner upwards at the end of your eyes and draw an upside down triangle at the tip of your nose with three thin streaks on your cheeks.

A more complicated idea is to add black dots between your nose and your top lip and adding the black paint around your nostrils and down your cleft. Also you can extend your eyelashes with mascara or drawing lashes on your eyelid up to your brow line. To create a sexy look you can put on a darker shade of red lipstick. These makeup tips can be used for any feline look from cats to leopards to lions.

Nails
     A simple trick to cat nails is to have claws. To make claws you can either purchase fake nails or cut your own nails at an angle to create a pointed tip. Just paint your nails black for the prowess effect. Another idea for a cutesier look is to paint your nails black and add two horizontal yellow ovals with a thin black streak straight down. Then add a white dot with three streaks coming out from either side.

2. Sultry Spider-girl
Makeup
     For a sexy look, you can put gray eye shadow with some gold undertones and to highlight the eyes use a white eye shadow. Then use eyeliner to draw spider webs on the upper lid up to the brow line. If you want the spider webs in another location of your face, you can put one huge spider web from your chin to forehead on one side or one the corner of your eyes. Add some color to the webs such as green or purple for a more eerie look.

Nails
     There are many ways to place spider-themed ideas on your fingernails. Placing spider webs from a corner tip to midway of the nail in either black or white is one of the most popular ideas. You can add a pop of color behind your nails based on the costume you choose to wear. Also you can position the webs on your fingertips as a French-manicure look. Another idea is to polish the nails in white, orange, or black and use a smaller brush to create spiders or words such as “Boo!”

3. Puckering Peacock
Makeup
     Peacock-inspired makeup might sound difficult since peacock feathers are difficult to recreate for people without artistic skills. However, you can create the look with the colors of the feathers. To start out use either green or purple eye shadow as a base, and use the other color to accent the edges of the eyes. Use blue to blend the green and purple together, but do not overdo the blue. You can add a little glitter to the inner corner of the eye for a more glam-packed look. Finally, using your eyeliner create dots on the lid and increase the amount of dots near the outside of the eyes.

You can add feathers to your eyebrows to go all out and can add purple lipstick for more of a dramatic effect.

Nails
     There are two ways you can do peacock nails. One would be to take a peacock feather and imprint the design like you would with a newspaper, but this method could take a lot of research and effort. The second idea is to use the colors of a peacock feather such as purple, forest green, gold, black and blue and use one of them as the background and create the pattern with the other colors. You can use one basic color on all the nails and replicate the design on just one or all the nails.

4. Classy Cleopatra
Makeup
     Egyptians makeup needs a lot of gold and bronze. For the eyes, use a gold eye shadow and sweep it under the bottom lash from the inner corner to the edge. Then add some gold to the inner corner on the upper lid as well. Next, take a color of your choice such as blue, green, or purple and use that eye shadow color to cover the rest of your lid. Take the gold eye shadow once more and apply it to the brow line to highlight the eyes. Finally use eyeliner to create the Cleopatra look you want. It can be anything from a simple outlining of the eyes to the creation of hieroglyphs seen in the picture below.
     Use a bronzer or gold blush to highlight the cheekbones and wear a light crème or bronze lipstick to complete the look.

Nails
     The nails for the Cleopatra costume can be as simple as plain or shimmering gold to more complex hieroglyphs.

For any nail design, you can purchase nail decals if painting on the designs are too difficult. Also to enhance any look, thicken your eyebrows with a dark eyebrow pencil.

If the outfit you are wearing does not match any of the mentioned nail or makeup designs, then check out our Pinterest for more ideas at www.pinterest.com/hermercer. Also follow us on Tumblr at hermercer.tumblr.com.

Photo courtesy: www.pinterest.com/hermercer

Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!