From Freshman to Junior: The College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Do you remember how you acted as a freshman? When college was something that you were sure would be just like the movies and thinking about the future was something you could easily put off until tomorrow. Surprisingly, though freshman year was just a short two years ago, I’ve changed a lot as a person. Chances are you have as well. College seems like a totally different place than it was when I arrived fresh out of high school in the fall of 2011.

I’m going to give you examples of how I’ve definitely changed over the years in ways I hope upper classmen can relate.

And if you are a freshman right now, enjoy it. As cliché as it is, there really is no time like the present.

Eating in the Caf

Freshman: I used to hang out with my friends for hours (yes, hours) in the cafeteria. We didn’t have an enormous amount of work to do (nor did we want to do it), so after lunch or dinner, a big group of us would sit in a corner booth, be extremely loud and obnoxious, and waste away precious hours goofing off and annoying everyone around us.

I would also text a bunch of my friends to make sure someone was there because I wouldn’t want to sit alone because, wow, only losers sit by themselves, right?

Junior: I try really, really hard not to go to the caf because it’s usually very loud and crowded. If I do, I go for the shortest line, don’t make eye contact with anyone, and try to scarf down my food as fast as possible because I don’t want to be there. And, if no one I know is there, it’s perfect. That way, I can just plop down at a small table, eat, and leave.

Morning Routine

Freshman: I would wake up every morning at 6:30. I would instantly get up, shower, do my hair, and make up, and would dress in an outfit I picked out in my head the night before. I tried really hard to look my best every single day.

Junior: Sleep is the most important thing in my life. It doesn’t matter what time I was hoping to wake up, because, every morning, without fail, I will press the snooze button three times. Even if I’m in desperate need of the shower, any extra amount of sleep I can get is more valuable than how I look. Hair up? Check. No make-up? Of course. T-shirt? Every day.

Academic Expectations:

Freshman: High school was such a breeze; I thought college wouldn’t be that difficult. Of course I could easily land a 4.0. Of course my homework load wouldn’t take over my entire life.  Of course all of my professors would love me like my high school teachers did. I would graduate with honors and be in the top of my class. Oh, and since college was going to be fairly easy, going to a prestigious graduate school would be just as easy!

Junior: I, like many upperclassmen, have discovered how little work I can do and still make good grades. I’ve come to the realization that it is pretty much impossible to get everything done. I’m one of those people that, if I can make an A in the class without giving myself a nervous breakdown, then I’ll strive for that grade. However, every semester there is always one class that makes me think If I can just make a B everything will be alright.  Honor graduate? Hopefully. Grad school? Uh, maybe.

Free Time:

Freshmen: Though I never did this, I’ve heard a lot of freshmen actually complain about how bored they are because they don’t have a lot to do (insert eye roll here). Yes, freshmen year I did have a lot of free time to hang out with my friends, read for fun, and just relax. Not once did I have to pull an all-nighter, possibly because my homework load wasn’t bad or maybe I was just more diligent. However, it did seem like I had all the time in the world. Naively, I thought all my years at college would be like this (oh, how foolish of me).

Junior: Free time? What…what is free time, again? Seriously, the only time I have social interaction is in class or when I’m doing homework with other people (again, not sure if I have more work or am just less diligent).  Sure, I do have some days that are better than others, but the majority of my time is spent finishing some assignments or reading for class. So, freshmen, before you complain about how bored you are because you don’t have anything to do, don’t.

Balancing a Budget:

Freshmen: I had a work study job on campus to make extra money. My mom graciously would give me a certain amount of money every month to buy the necessities: shampoo, toilet paper, tooth paste, junk food, etc. So, because I received a pay check every two weeks, I had more money than I actually really needed (probably should’ve saved some of it…). I bought so many things I did not need (mainly clothes…online shopping will be the death of me).

Junior: I now live in an apartment, which means I have to buy all of my own food. You may not know this, but food is expensive, especially if you’re on a limited budget and are addicted to shopping (like myself). Unlike being at home or eating in the caf, you actually have to plan out meals ahead of time, which I hate doing. Some days I really want a grilled cheese sandwich and then realize I have no bread. Or I really want to make green bean casserole but have no milk. Do I have money to go pick these things up from the store? Nope, not really.

Life in General:

Freshman: I actually really loved being a freshman. I had four whole years ahead of me to figure out what I was going to do with my life. No one expected me to really know for sure, and though I did have some idea, the adults in my life would just smile and say, “You’ll change your mind.”  The world was my oyster (whatever that means).  I was just beginning that awesome liminal space between childhood and adulthood where I could dip my toes into responsibility, but still not be expected to actually be responsible.

Junior: Now that I have only less than two years to decide what’s happening after school, I’m not going to lie, I’m terrified. Bills? What are those? Wait, I actually have to pay my student loans? Does this mean I have to move back in with my mom?! Yes, these questions are now constantly looming over my head, threatening to unleash the torrential downpour that comes with being an adult. I have no idea what I want to do when I graduate. Though I’m on the precipice of entering the ‘real world’, all I can do is just breathe. And that’s okay. 

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson