Five Steps to Going Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

As a college student I know that I often am not as concerned with my affects on the planet as I should be, mainly because I assume that the campus takes care of everything for me. However we still have our part to play in the worlds well being. Here are 5 easy steps that can help us each do our part to reduce, recycle, and save.

1) Change the Light – If your parents were anything like mine they continuously were hollering down the hallway fro you to turn off the lights when you left a room.  Well now it is time to be aware of what light bulbs you are using and not so much turning them off. The best one to consider is a compact florescent bulb, these light bulbs use more light based energy versus the typical heat source.

2) Grab a Rag – Paper towels can easily be replaces with more than a few handy rags. Rags are washable and reusable, where paper towels cannot be recycled. A few more items to add to the laundry pile is better than a few rolls of paper towels in the trash each month, not to mention much cheaper.  

3) BYOM – Bring Your Own Mug. Most coffee shops will give patrons a discount for bringing their own mug to fill with coffee. Ask around your town to see who offers this discount.

4) One Trip Wonders – Instead of running errands whenever there is a spare moment plan out a day to spend dedicated to those errands, perhaps even consider car pooling to save time, money, and the planet one less trip at a time.

5) Be Friendly – Eco-friendly that is. Consider switching over to more environment safe products. They may be more expensive, but the odd is that these products will be better for you and obviously better for the environment. 

Olivia is a Business Major at Mercer University, pursuing a degree in Management and a minor in Marketing. With love for the arts she aspire to someday open her own bakery and non-profit organization for the arts. With a passion for all thing in life she hopes to spread the joy of community and creativity.