DIY: 5 Things to Do by Yourself on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Here at Mercer, we are big on getting involved and the social aspect of college, but it can get really overwhelming. Sometimes, you have to take a step back and spend some alone time. It might sound crazy to take a break from all of your clubs, and it might even feel weird to not be stressed out all the time, but don’t worry! Taking time to yourself does not make you a socially awkward loner; we  just all need a little  “me time”. So, here are 5 things that you can do at Mercer by yourself!

1) Have a date with yourself

Yes, it sounds lonely, but having a meal alone is a good way to treat yourself. Whether in the caf, the UC, or in Mercer Village, having a date with yourself is a good way to spend alone time. I know some people avoid eating alone because they don’t want to feel judged as alone or weird by their peers. But I assure you that this is okay. I eat breakfast alone in the caf to start my days. It’s a good way to reflect on the day to come, check social media, play games, read, or just plug in headphones and drown out the world.

2) Take a Leisurely Stroll

Exercise is a great stress reliever. According to the American Heart Association, walking thirty minutes a day can decrease blood pressure and increase mental well-being. Running has similar benefits. Plus, we go to a beautiful school, but how much time do you take to enjoy the scenery ? Fall is upon us, so after classes the weather is cool enough to walk around campus without melting. A walk is a good way to be alone, and it is physical activity. Two-fold!

3) Call your Family or Friends

Upon first arriving here at Mercer, I’m sure all of you called your loved ones at least once a day (Or more. I was a two or more caller). As time has gone on, I’ve called less and less. Calling or writing, your family and friends is a good way to spend time alone without feeling alone. It can also help you clear your mind of things you didn’t even know were there.

4) Study

Hey, you knew it was coming. We are in college and studying is a necessity. It just has to happen. So why not do it in a cool place by yourself? The Bear Rock Café, the tables on Cruz Plaza, and the Co-Op near Bear Necessities are all great places to study. They tend to be quieter, are frequented by less people, and have generally good vibes. Since you have to study, pick one of these places, or find your own place. Just choose somewhere that works for you.

5) Chill in your Room

There are so many things to do in your dorm room. And at some point you will have the room to yourself. This is a pants-optional time. Seriously, you could watch movies or TV. If you do not have a TV or subscribe to Netflix or Hulu, the library has a wide variety of movies and shows. Actually, if they don’t have what you want they will get it for you! Tarver is an excellent resource to use. While alone in your room, you could choose to read a book that’s not for class (Ooooh… Enticing). Or you could indulge in my favorite pastime… Sleeping! College is exhausting and when presented with an opportunity to sleep, do not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.