Deciding for a Tattoo?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It seems like everyone in college goes crazy with getting tattoos. Why is this? Is it the
newfound freedom in moving away from home? Or something much deeper than that? I’d say, it
all depends on the person and situation.

I know at times, I’ve felt an impulse to do something like that. Why not go ahead and get
that tattoo I’ve thought so much about? I think it’d look great! But then reality settles in on me,
and I know I’m too chicken to actually do it. I am not kidding either, I’d have to muster up quite a
bit of courage.

I think there are some basic things to think about when wanting to permanently mark
your body with ink. For one, where do you plan to put that awesome tattoo? I’ll bet your secret
tattoo idea is really cool, but you have to consider where to place it. If you are in college to be a
lawyer or politician, then it’d probably be best to place the tattoo somewhere more private.

I believe the most important aspect to think about when getting a tattoo is this: WHY are
you getting it? Tattoos are supposed to be permanent reminders or messages to ourselves of
something vitally important. It could be based off religion, or maybe a person close to you, or it
could simply be a representation of what you strive to be in life.

You definitely want to be sure about your tattoo before you actually go through with
getting it. I’ve heard that a great way to feel out whether you like it or not, is to put on a fake
tattoo. Remember those? The little water-washable fake ones that made you feel so cool when
you were little? Well, time to relive that all over again. Wherever you plan to put a permanent
tattoo, put a fake one in that spot for a while first. Think of it like a tiny baby-step. If you end up
hating it, it’s no problem to just wash it off and think of something else.

I know it seems like everyone is getting some sort of tattoo, but, believe me, tattoos are in
no way nonchalant. They are a permanent statement on your body, so choose wisely.

Photo source: http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/308618

Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!