The Confusion: College Courses vs High School Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

So, it’s your first day of class as college student. Maybe you’re nervous, or excited, or extremely indifferent (because “cool” kids hate school, obviously). Despite whatever emotions you’re experiencing on that first day, there is one common feeling all freshmen feel going into their very first college class: uncertainty. You remember how you felt that first day of kindergarten, or your first day of middle school (unless you’re like me and try to block those preteen years from memory) or, of course, your first day as a high school student, right? The first day of college, whether you like it or not, is a lot like that. And, just like those experiences, it will take some time to adjust. Sadly, sometimes that adjusting comes from trial and error. It’s true that we learn from our mistakes, but I have a few words of advice that will definitely help you in the long run.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1.       Don’t ask to go to the bathroom

Seriously, just don’t do it. If you have to go, you just get up and go. To me, it feels a little awkward, but that’s just the way it goes. But, seeing as classes are not very long, it would probably be best to just wait it out or do your business before class starts. Some professors have weird bathroom policies anyways.

2.       Definitely keep all your syllabi

Your professors, unlike the teachers of your past, don’t have to follow strict guidelines on how they run their class. They have the freedom to have different attendance policies, grading scales, and general rules. It’s important to keep up with all your professor’s procedures, which are conveniently located in those boring syllabi they pass out on the first day! Just keep them in your notebook for future references. Also, most professors put all your homework assignments for the entire semester in your syllabus that you can look to for future references. But remember, having the dates to all your assignments in advance means you can’t have any excuse as to why you didn’t do something. Your professors definitely aren’t going to buy into the “I forgot” story when all the homework had been printed for you, so at least invent a create excuse if you’re planning on not doing your homework.

3.       Many classes are discussion based

In all your years as a student, you usually would go to class, listen to your teacher babble on, and then be on your way. However, most classes (especially for those in Mercer’s liberal arts school) are not entirely dependent on the professor, but on your participation. You don’t just listen to the professor talk, but you engage with them and the rest of class. Don’t be afraid to talk in class and definitely don’t let the fact that your classmates aren’t saying anything make you feel like you can’t say anything. If no one talks, the class will be extremely boring. Also, your professors will really appreciate your willingness to speak up, especially if the other students aren’t saying anything.

4.       Every assignment can be a grade changer

Usually grade scales are broken up into a handful of tests/papers/projects and participation; that’s it. Now, that kind of grading doesn’t leave a lot of room for error. It’s important to put effort into all your assignments if you want to make good grades. When your assignments begin to pile up (trust me, things will get crazy), it’s extremely easy to stop studying for that test or end your paper before you hit the number of required pages, but you shouldn’t. One way to give yourself some wriggle room is to go above and beyond on your first big assignment for every class to give yourself some cushion.

5.       And, basically, just don’t be this guy:

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson