Ashley Chackalayil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Many of you may just see her as she’s rushing past to get to one of her various classes, but this bubbly junior is the example of dedication. While majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) with minors in both Math and Spanish, Ashley Chackalayil has a lot on her plate, but that hasn’t stopped her from being actively involved on campus.

HerCampus: Where are you originally from?
Ashley: My parents are from India. I was born in Schenectady, NY, and moved to Georgia when I was 7.

HC: What is a word that you would use to describe yourself?
Ashley: Indecisive!

HC: What made you choose Mercer?
Ashley: Honestly? I really feel like I just…sort of “ended up” here.

HC: What clubs and/or honor societies are you involved with? Do you hold any officer positions?
Ashley:  I am in a LOT of organizations, but I hold leadership positions as a Minority Mentor, Vice President of Mercer ASIA, and Advocacy Chair of Habitat for Humanity.

HC: What inspires you?
Ashley: Definitely the need to make my parents proud.

HC: What’s your favorite food?
Ashley: Mmh…I love it all! But Indian and then…Chinese?

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?
Ashley: Take pictures that I wish I could call legit photography, make lots and lots of lists about things to do, goals, random things, and multitask while watching over dramatic TV shows in the background.

After she graduates, Chackalayil plans to further her education and go into the medical field. She hasn’t decided what aspect of the field she wants to pursue, but this campus celeb has a bright future ahead of her!

Hometown: Moultrie, GA College: Mercer University I come from a small town in the real South. I have always loved writing, and now, I am studying Journalism at Mercer. Look out for me. I have big dreams, and I am not backing down. I am a mystery just waiting to be solved.