#AllTheFeels: Dealing With Your Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

I’m just going to lay it out for you: women are automatically labeled “overly emotional”. Countless times, the things I am feeling have been overlooked because I, as a woman, am thought of as a generally moody person (or whatever I’m feeling has been blamed on the menstrual cycle). This gendered stereotype that women are emotional not only places our emotions on a subpar level (because if we are upset about something, it is probably something stupid, because, hey, women get upset about everything), it can also make us feel guilty for feeling whatever we are feeling. Sometimes when I have been upset, I will think “I am probably just being stupid, I need to get over this” instead of embracing my emotions and finding out where they are coming from.

During these first few weeks back at school, you are going to experience a turbulent of emotions, ranging from homesickness to uncontainable joy to seething anger. Do not cast off how you are feeling as something purely based off your gender; grab hold of your emotions and do not be afraid to let people know how you feel!

Let us discuss a few of the common emotions people experience when coming back into the college environment. Hopefully, you will be able to empathize better with your fellow Mercerians.

For the “Lonely Lisas”

While everyone is hanging out together and getting into the swing of things, maybe you are feeling a little lonely. Your loneliness could be a result from leaving the comfort of home. Being homesick is something we all feel, not just freshmen. Homesickness does not just have to mean missing your parents either. It encompasses all the little joys that your home life brings, such as extended family, friends, and the familiarities of your hometown. If you feel this way, try staying busy to help ease yourself into your new surrounds. Focus on decorating your dorm room or hanging out with your friends. However, sometimes your lonely feelings will start to reemerge during any downtime. This is a problem I always have when starting school again. During the earlier part of the day I am usually in class, at work, and just generally surrounded by people and constantly keeping myself busy. But, whenever a time comes that I’m not busy or hanging out with anyone, I start to feel sad and alone. If this happens, instead of just finding more things to do, confront your feelings. Try to figure out why you’re feeling this way. If you need further assistance, CAPS can definitely help; their office is located behind MEP.

For the “Happy Heathers”

No one said starting the school year has to be a bad thing! If you have been completely overjoyed these past weeks about either starting school or returning to your beloved Mercer campus, own it! Let your excitement radiate through the dorms and the Quad, down the halls of Knight and Willet, past Greek Row and the Connell Student Center. And, if people try to damper your enthusiasm, do not let them. Being excited about starting another school year is not ‘uncool’ or ‘lame’ in the least; do not be afraid to let out your inner Mercer Bear! Whether it is starting classes or reuniting with friends, it is perfectly acceptable to feel downright giddy.

One thing a happy camper like you should be aware of, however, is the way others are feeling and understanding those who do not share your passionate outlook. Even though you absolutely love being at Mercer doesn’t mean everyone feels the same way. If you know someone who is having trouble adjusting or just isn’t getting into the Mercer spirit, don’t badger them about it or constantly pester them about why they aren’t as excited as you. Instead, talk to them about why they are upset and try to help them get to a comfortable place, not necessarily a pumped-up, overly-excited place.

For the “Stressed Stacys”

It is only the second week of school and you are already feeling overwhelmed with work. Just take a deep breath and try not to panic. The road ahead can seem difficult and bleak when professors already start piling on assignments this early. But fear not, because while you may feel stressed now, it is more than likely your fears will subside after readjusting to school work. Equip yourself with some form of work planner and write down all your assignments from your handy dandy class syllabi and make a homework schedule. Organizing your workload will make it seem a lot less crazy and will also help develop the useful skill that is time management. Just remember to leave time for yourself in your schedule. Going to the gym, especially to yoga classes, can help you feel more relaxed. Or, if working out feels like too much work for you, take some time to just watch some mind-numbing television for an hour or two.

For the “Exhausted Ellens”

Do you feel like everyone is running about from class to class, never missing a beat, while you are just slowly dragging behind? The first week of school can be extremely exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Do not be too hard on yourself for feeling tired this early in the year. If you are like me and just basically lounged around all summer (ah, the good ole’ days), it is difficult to get out of that relaxation mode and start working again. Just try your best to get good sleep for at least an entire week. Your body is just tired from moving in, staying up late with friends, waking up early for class, and actually using your brain for things other than memorizing when Grey’s Anatomy reruns come on TV. Give yourself plenty of time to catch up and d not worry about how lively everyone else may seem to be. Just because someone does not look or act as tired, as you does not mean they do not feel the same way. 

All the feels picture credit

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson