This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Q: What are the new trends for 2011 and what should we let go of from 2010?

A: Last year as the year for natural and nude color scheme and wash-and-go hair. This year, we are turning things up a notch with polished and poised looks. What needs to go this year? Nude lips. While the pale pinks and flesh tone shades of lipstick look pretty in the tube, on the face they make you look a little sick. This year, try a pop of warm pink and if you’re really bold, bright coral is pretty. If you want to try the spring hue, keep the rest of your make up very simple and be sure to conceal any redness you have. A second look on the outs is red or pink eye-shadow. Like the nude lip, these colors make you look sick when applied to your eyelid. For the new year try jewel tones like emerald green and amethyst purple. For day, apply a jewel-color liner close to the last line. For an edgier look, apply the liner on the lower lash line only with strong lashes. Just don’t mix the bright liner with bright lips; pick one trend to focus on. A third look leaving us is grunge hair. Yes, it is easier to just hop out of bed and go, but this year try for a pulled together and sophisticated hairstyle. A quick and easy bun always looks polished. Add some romance to your hair by adding pretty rhinestone clips or leaving wispy pieces around your face and the nape of your neck. This season, let’s put a little old-school class back into our style.   

Kayleigh Irby is a senior at Mercer. She attended Central Georgia Technical College and obtained her esthetics license in 2008. Since then she has worked for Ulta Cosmetics and is currently a Mark Representative. Irby is a journalism and believes beauty starts with a smile and ends where ever the lip gloss takes you.

Have a question for Kayleigh? E-mail your question to askkayleigh@gmail.com

Kathleen has red hair, blue eyes and a ridiculous amount of freckles. Her favorite actor is Jason Schwartzman and her true love is television. She also enjoys comic books, 'Doctor Who' and cupcakes. Currently, Kathleen is a senior at Mercer University and is earning her double major in Journalism and English. She hopes to move to New York and become a real life Liz Lemon. At Mercer, Kathleen is the News Editor of the campus paper, 'The Cluster.' Also, Kathleen is part of the equestrian team, Society for Collegiate Journalists and several honor societies. Kathleen also is the head of the Mercer University HerCampus team and would love for fellow Mercer students to contact her about writing for the site by E-mailing her at KathleenQuinlan@HerCampus.com