Things Millennials Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

As a writer, I’ve heard it said that the best ideas arrive late at night.  This I know is true.  It was a Sunday night and it was raining particularly hard.  I had spent the past hour scrolling through Twitter and catching up on my Instagram feed.  In dire need of a story idea, I was left empty. I blamed it on writers block, but really I lacked vision.

Then the thunder clapped.  Inspiration took a bow.

I was to compose a list of things millennials say. This list was to contain phrases I’ve heard people vocalize, as well as things I’ve said myself.  It took a good fit of laughter and a few of “Am I actually writing this” moments to form this newfound millennial list.  Here’s a little bit of what I got. 

“Everyone get in this pic.  I have to put it on my story!”

“Season three of House of Cards just came out.  I’m Netflix binging this weekend.”

“What does Bae stand for?””What is a Bae?” “How can I get a Bae?”

“I’m going to tweet that!” – funny reference to what their friend just said.  Few will actually understand this tweet.

“Before we leave can we get Starbucks?” or “A road trip isn’t complete without Starbucks.” Or just simply, “Starbucks?”

“I have no idea, let me ask Siri.” – in reference to the year “Nellyville” came out

“Does anyone have an iphone 5 charger?”

“What’s the wifi password?”

“Zayn left One Direction!” – the saddest moment in teens lives since the breakup of ‘NSync

“I’ve never actually met her, but I’ve stalked her on Instagram.”

“No one eat yet, I want to take a picture.”

“What should my caption be?”

“Dang autocorrect.”

“No one uses Facebook anymore.” (posts status a few hours later)

“Yes, Retweet!”-after agreeing with someone

“Does this filter look good?”

“My iMessage won’t send.”

“I want to be you.” Or “Artsy” – Instagram comments on people doing fun things

“He is such a creeper!”- Reference to someone liking an old pic, somewhere between 50-75 weeks ago.

“Kardashians.” Or really just “Kim.”

“Can we take one with the flash on?”

“Can I get on the left side?  I like that side better.”

“You go Glen CoCo.” – in a congratulatory manner to someone

“Oh you didn’t hear about it?  Did you not see my picture?”

“Can you go ahead and send the pictures?” …“Where are the pictures?”

*deep lyrics* – the caption next to rain falling

“We can just go, take a picture, and leave.”

These are just a few of what I’ve said, what I’ve heard, and what we’ve all done.  I hope it relates to you, makes you feel shame, and gives you a good laugh. 

Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.