It’s Spring! Time to Party With Nature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

As the dead leaves blow away and flowers begin to blossom, we tend to countdown the days until our last final, spend our nights in libraries and days trying not to skip class.  We often begin to wonder where the semester went. Hasn’t anyone told us, “Too much work, not enough play.” I know our grades are very essential in college, but our health is too. If you didn’t know, the more you stress and worry and work, eventually the more complaints about pain and aches you will have. Maybe I over exaggerated a tad bit but overworking yourself reduces your health lifestyles in the future. So take some time to escape that dark room of paper trail, play “What a Wonderful World” on repeat, and breathe that fresh spring air!

Long story short, here are some events happening in Memphis or just things for the right weather that you wouldn’t want to miss!

1.    Jerry’s Sno Cones – Is that even a question? On a sunny hot day after class, you will randomly crave it.

2.    Any Restaurant with a Patio – Skip the classy indoors for a change and embrace the outside view of your favorite restaurant. (One and Only Barbeque (on Perkins extd.), Hueys, Republic Coffee, and Otherlands Coffee.

3.    Local Park – You know you miss those swings! You just didn’t want to race the little kids to it.

4.    Memphis Zoo –You should actually go at least once every season because there’s always something new.

5.    Shelby Farms – Horseback riding, BMX, laser tag, paintball, disc golf, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and paddleboats.

6.    Beale Street – Maybe when the nights aren’t full of ecstatic Memphians. Sometimes it’s fun and calm walking on Beale with less people.

7.    Biking – The best way to explore Memphis…hop on a bike and just GO!

8.    Hiking and Camping – The LEGIT best way to enjoy the outdoors! You can even camp in your (or your parents) backyard. Sleep under the stars for once!

9.    Mississippi River – The best attraction of Memphis—or maybe it’s just me. Hearing the water currents, people chatter, and the wind blow makes me feel calm, free, and close to nature.

10.                  Your own SCHOOL! – Because the University of Memphis campus is an awesome attraction! Sitting by the fountain, the balcony of the University Center, on one of the benches around campus, the track field…shall I go on? I TRIPLE DOG DARE you to sleep in a Hammock between two trees with friends! 

My name is Myesha and I am second year theatre performance student that loves children and mentoring to teenagers and young adults. I am a resident advisor in one of the residence halls on my school and this is my third semester! I love being involved on my campus and supporting my tigers. I also love studying in coffee shops, hanging out with friends, dancing, and mentoring. Every semester or every one to two months, my schedule change due to shows that I am in and/or clubs, organizations, or events that I get involved in. Nevertheless, my goal is to take something from every experience that I have in college. My dream is to become a teacher (for students aged 6-18) and professional actress. I also have more goals on my bucket list that I want to achieve. I am proud to be apart of my favorite blog website and I hope you enjoy my stories!
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.