Campus Celebrity: Liz Gallimore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

From cooking to majoring in Biochemistry, University of Memphis graduate Elizabeth Richardson Gallimore can do it all! Allowing nothing to stop her, Elizabeth is living her dream in the medical field by working at children’s research hospitals.

Birthday: May 7, 1988

Graduation Year: 2010

Major: Biochemistry

HC: What made you want to major in Biochemistry?

LG:  “I knew I wanted to go to pharmacy school, so biochemistry was the path that would best prepare me to be a pharmacist someday.  My first job in high school was in an independent pharmacy that was attached to the clinic where my dad was a physician.  I knew I wanted to work in healthcare, but I hadn’t yet decided what route I would take.  My boss was awesome— if the store was slow, he would take a random bottle off the shelf and teach me all about the medicines and how they worked.  I fell in love & decided to become a pharmacist!”

HC: What made you attend the University of Memphis?

LG: “My family has a long history at the University of Memphis.  Both my mom and my dad graduated from here.  Richardson Towers is actually named after my great-uncle John Richardson (known affectionately as Uncle June) who was a dean of the school.  My grandfather, Dr. Bob Richardson, is also a huge lifetime Memphis supporter.  I’m pretty sure my mom actually has pictures of me as an infant in a Memphis State cheerleading outfit!  (That was the 80’s, after all.) That being said, it was definitely all my decision to come to the U of M.  I was really impressed with Kate Howard, who recruited me.  She was a big piece of why I came to Memphis, because her passion and enthusiasm for the school led me to pursue my academic career here.  I liked being a part of a big urban campus, too—I grew up in Paris, TN, which is a pretty small town! The science departments at the U of M are known for being excellent quality, and I felt like Memphis would best prepare me for pharmacy school.”

HC: What were you involved in when you attended the U of M?

LG: “I Had to go dig out an old resume for this one—Phi Mu, Phi Mu Pledge Class 2007 President, Phi Mu House Manager (x2), Chi Beta Phi Scientific Honorary Society, Golden Key International Honor Society, University Honors Program, Cecil C. Humphreys Presidential Scholar, Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Omicron Delta Kappa (Vice President), Phi Kappa Phi, & Order of Omega.  I also worked as a Chemistry tutor in the U of M’s tutoring program, as well as working as a pharmacy technician at Kroger. “

HC: What did you enjoy most about college?

LG: “I know it sounds cliché to say “my sorority,” but it’s really true.  I was a pretty nerdy kid (still am) and being in Phi Mu pushed me to open up more and make new friends.  I fell in love when I walked through the door, met my best friend Lara, and made countless memories.  From the entire chapter dancing in the rain in the parking lot of sorority row to screaming ourselves hoarse at Greek Sing, I think all my most fun memories relate to Greek life. (Go Greek!)”

HC: What were some lessons you learned throughout college?

LG: “Don’t get lazy.  When you switch from the required 8 hours a day of high school to the relative freedom of college, it can be easy to procrastinate and over-indulge in the free time you suddenly have.  Be proactive, join a bunch of clubs, go network, get internships.  The job market is tough out there—you need every leg up you can get. As my daddy has always told me:  “There will always be somebody out there who is smarter than you.  You can’t change that.  But what you CAN do is work harder than them.”  Hard work is the key to success. HUSTLE!”

HC: Since you have worked at St. Jude and Le Bonheur, what have you enjoyed most about working there?

LG: “St. Jude and LeBonheur are incredible places. Everybody there is passionate about caring for children, and it shows in everything that they do.  The entire team cares so much about making the hospital as fun as possible for the kids.  It’s like being a part of a big family.  It doesn’t hurt that the kids are often hilarious. You never know what they’re going to say!”

HC: Have you had any experiences with the children of the hospitals?

LG: “Oh gosh, so many— I’ve helped throw a “No Mo Chemo” party at St. Jude, I’ve held babies in the NICU at LeBonheur… when I was still in Phi Mu, we would always go hang out with & hold events for the kids at LeBonheur when it was in the old hospital.  I’ve played video games with bored teenagers and helped tie shoelaces.”

HC: Do you have any advice for current students majoring in the medical field?

LG: “Go shadow a healthcare professional.  It doesn’t matter if you want to be a nurse, a pharmacist, a physician, a dentist, or whatever.  It’s a demanding field, and you really have to have a passion for caring for others.  Better to find out early if this life is for you, rather than after several thousands of dollars in graduate school debt!  Most of us would LOVE to show off what we do, and you’re lucky to be in Memphis, where our best institutions are heavily involved with the academic medical community. “

Being involved on campus while majoring in biochemistry had to be difficult, but with her dedication, Elizabeth didn’t allow the fun to interact with her future plans. She is an upbeat, fun person to be around, who will encourage you just by her actions. Learning from her experiences, she is truly an inspiration for all hard working students in the medical field. 

I am currently a journalism major at the University of Memphis inspiring to attend law school after I graduate with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in pre-law. 
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.