Campus Celebrity, Amelia Durkee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

Amelia Durkee is not only super involved on campus, but she can put a smile on anyone’s face in a matter of seconds. Amelia was a Frosh Camp Counselor, Director of Activities and on Executive Board, Tiger Elite Ambassador, SGA Senator and Finance Committee Chair, an Intern in Career Services, and lastly, an Orientation Guide. Talk about being a busy bee! With every task she is given, Amelia takes it with stride by creating a positive atmosphere for everyone working with her.

Birthday: August 4, 1994

Classification: Junior (graduating May 2016)

Major: Organizational Leadership; minors in Spanish and Communication

HC: What made you decide to attend the University of Memphis?

AD: “At first, I chose to attend the University of Memphis because of financial reasons. But why I came is not why I stayed. I stayed because this is home. I found that I could be my true self here, and I found a family that loves me for exactly that. The university and this city have my whole heart. I can’t imagine who I would be without it.”

HC:  What is your favorite thing about the university?

AD:  “My favorite thing about the U of M is how invested the faculty and staff are in helping you succeed. You aren’t just a number here because they genuinely care.”

HC:  If you could change one thing about Memphis, what would it be?

AD:  “I would change the perception that some people can have towards our city and our university. Living in the city of Memphis is a completely different experience than growing up in the suburbs. I love that you can find the most delicious food at these little hole-in-the-wall places. You can also find some of the most generous people in the nation. Memphians come together as a community – a big, eclectic, diverse family. What’s not to love?”

HC:  What did you enjoy most about being a frosh camp counselor?

AD:  “This is such a difficult question. There’s too much to love!  This is what I have found about serving in this program: it isn’t about me. It is about humbling yourself to serve others. Students enjoy Frosh Camp because it is a place where they experience true acceptance. Being able to empower someone to be who they are is a beautiful experience.  It is something every person should try to do. No matter who you are, take the time to set yourself aside and truly listen to another person. Place their needs before your own. Watch what happens when you live unselfishly.”

HC:  Now that you are over frosh camp, do you plan on making any changes for the incoming freshmen?

AD:  “The hallmark of our program is constant improvement. I am very fortunate to have an incredible Executive Board this year that is working very hard to implement innovative ideas that we believe will make Frosh Camp even better. We also have a fantastic group of counselors that I know are willing to go above and beyond for the incoming students. We’d like to say that this year is #TheGoldenYear.”

HC:  Who inspires you the most?

AD:  “I recently read a quote by Oprah that goes, “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” I have wonderful friends and mentors who constantly lift me higher. At the same time, they are doing that for themselves too.”

HC:  What keeps you pushing towards your goal?

AD:  “Honestly, I think I am too stubborn a person to accept failure. I’m tough on myself because I know I can do better and because I owe it to the people around me. My parents have sacrificed a lot for me over the years. Next May, I want to walk across that stage, get my degree, and tell them that we did it. We made it.”

HC:  What challenges have you faced through college so far? How do you move past them?

AD: “I think we all face similar struggles as students: grades, finances, balancing everything that is going on with your life. There have been times when I’ve spent hours in the tech hub trying to prepare for a test or when I refuse to look at my bank statement because I just know I spent too much money on food. There’s also been times when I’ve made mistakes and ripped myself apart for them. Seriously, I think I parent myself more than my actual parents do. One of my close friends, Ben Daniel, sat me down one day and was very honest with me about how harshly I judge myself. He helped me realize that I am enough. Exactly as I am, I am enough. I do the best I can and move on. I’m not perfect, and that’s okay. He taught me one of life’s toughest and most important lessons: self-acceptance.”

HC:  Do you have any advice for the incoming freshmen?

AD:  “I would say give yourself a chance to figure out who you are. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. You never know what you can be passionate about.”

Despite her always having something to do, if you are in a bad mood and run into Amelia, that won’t last long! Her school spirit and smile will make you happy to be a Memphis Tiger! 

I am currently a journalism major at the University of Memphis inspiring to attend law school after I graduate with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in pre-law. 
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.