Campus Celebrity: Aiden Willis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

Full Name: Aiden Willis

Age: 20

Major: Communication, Minor: Spanish

Classification: Sophomore

Hometown: Memphis, TN

HC: “Why did you choose to go to the University of Memphis?”

AW: “I originally did not intend on going to the U of M. It was not until a week before I graduated from high school that I finally made my decision. I originally chose the school because of a scholarship I received, but now I am so glad I chose Memphis. The people here have become like my second family, especially after my parents moved to California.”

HC: “What is your favorite thing about the University?”

AW: “I love the feeling that I am not just a number here. Since I am involved, I have become friends with individuals that I normally would not have known. I also have developed personal relationships with the faculty. I know the faculty and staff truly want me to succeed here.”

HC: “What is your favorite thing about the city of Memphis?”

AW: “The people in the city. No matter where I go I always feel a sense of community. I also can’t lie the food here is also amazing. I encourage everyone to eat local.”

HC: “What is your favorite food?”

AW: “Italian food. I love going to Old Venice. I also think you are not a true Memphian if you do not have some type of love for BBQ.”

HC: “What is something interesting about you?”

AW: “I love to work out. It is the way I de-stress. I have even walked in the rain to the Rec. I later realized that was not the best idea.”

HC: “What organizations are you involved in at school?”

AW: “I am a member of Alpha Delta Pi and I have served as a Morale Captain for Up ‘Til Dawn St. Jude for the past two years. I am also a part of Chi Alpha Campus Ministry.”

HC: “How/When did you get involved in Up ‘Til Dawn?”

AW: “I got involved with Up ‘Til Dawn during my freshman year. I heard about it through some friends and it seemed like something I would be good at.”

HC: “Why did you decide to be a Morale Captain?”

AW: “I think when people think of St. Jude Children’s Hospital they do not realize the impact the hospital has had on childhood cancer around the world. The researchers do not keep the information they find for themselves, but they continue to share their findings internationally. St. Jude is helping kids all over the world with that research. Being a Morale Captain, I am able to help kids from all over the world that cannot help themselves.”

HC: “What were your responsibilities being a Morale Captain? “

AW: “As a Morale Captain, my job is to get people to donate to this organization. We do this by putting people on fundraising teams, hold annual events, as well as other events each year.”

HC: “What did it mean to you to be named female moral captain of the year?”

AW: “Being named Female Morale Captain of Year is something I definitely did not expect. It makes my heart happy knowing that my peers think that I deserve this award. I love being able to serve these kids and I could not image my college career without this organization. I honestly just hope that I am inspiring others to raise money and to continue to spread awareness on this more than deserving cause.”

HC: “How did the experience change you?”

AW: “This experience has made me so much more appreciative, which makes me complain a lot less. There are kids who wish they could get up and just walk around a hallway, while we are complaining about walking for 5 minutes in the cold to class. You learn it is the little things in life that matter.”

HC: “What does being able to help the kids of St. Jude mean to you?”

AW: “It means so much to me. I lost both of my grandmothers to cancer, although it was so hard to lose them and I miss them every day, they got to live a full life. Some of these kids may not get that chance. Being able to help possibly change that blows my mind. I feel like, in a way, I am doing what my grandmothers would want me to be doing.”

HC: “Will you continue to do things to help St. Jude?”

AW: “I will always do things for St. Jude. I will probably always donate to the hospital. I am hoping to intern there sometime during my college career. St. Jude will always have big place in my heart.”

HC: “What can other people take away from being involved in Up ‘Til Dawn?”

AW: “I think the lesson that is always learned is how precious life. If you are able come to these events and donate, then your life is good. I also think that people should be proud to know that they played a part in saving kids’ lives.”

HC: “Are there other ways to be involved now that the main event is over?”

AW: “St. Jude always is accepting donations. You can also go to the hospital and give blood and blood platelets. Simply spreading the word about St. Jude helps tremendously. Anything and everything counts. Remember no amount is too little; it takes 2 million dollars a day to run the hospital. “No child should die in the dawn of life” – Danny Thomas, Founder of St. Jude Children’s Hospital

Hey y'all! I'm not sure what I'm suppose to say here, but I guess I'll just tell y'all a little about myself. My name is Shauna Jordan. I am a junior at the University of Memphis currently triple majoring in Broadcast Journalism, Exercise Sports Science, and Sport and Leisure Management. I know it sounds crazy, but I like to think of it as ambitious! I was raised in Memphis since I was 6 months old and love my city and school with a burning passion inside my soul. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am also a reporter for our school paper The Daily Helmsman. I love to get involved on campus. I am a member of the Sport Marketing Association and very involved in Chi Alpha Campus Ministry. I play as many intramural sports that can possibly fit in my schedule. I also volunteered with the track and field, football, and men's soccer for the fall 2014 semester.When I'm not working, writing, or studying I'm most likely to be found watching a game of any variety or hanging out with my friends. I love people and want to get to know as many people as I can! It may seem like I'm all over the place with my majors and jobs, but one day my dream is to work in minor league baseball or on the MLB Network. I want to experience many new things while in college and enjoy my time here. I hope y'all enjoy reading about Campus Celebrities on and from our campus!
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.