Womens History Month 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Womens History Month 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Women Who Had Their Incredible Accomplishments Credited to Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

The accomplishments of women have constantly been sidelined throughout history. Not only have they had their extraordinary accomplishments outshined by those of men, but many women have also had their hard work and innovative ideas stolen. In honour of Women’s History Month, I want to celebrate these women and highlight a few incredible accomplishments of women that have been unfairly credited to men.

Rosalind Franklin

Stolen work: Discovery of the structure of DNA

James Watson and Francis Crick are known as the discoverers of the double-helix structure of DNA. Discovering this structure had tremendous implications in the field of science, including helping researchers investigate diseases and formulate drugs. Watson and Crick initially theorized about the double-helix structure of DNA, but did not have enough evidence to back up their theory. During this time, Rosalind Franklin was studying the structure of DNA as well through the use of X-ray photographs. After she presented her photograph of the double-helix structure of DNA at a lecture, Watson and Crick published their own research with her photograph to support their theory. This led to them receiving the Nobel Prize shortly after Franklin’s death, but she was never credited for her crucial scientific work.

Katherine johnson, Dorothy vaughan, and mary jackson

Stolen work: Mathematical data for NASA

You might be familiar with Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson. These black female scientists were prominent human computers, and they were essential for NASA space missions. Similar to the plights of other female scientists, they faced misogyny and disregard from their male coworkers. However, black women, including these three scientists, were additionally forced to endure racial discrimination amidst the height of the Civil Rights Movement. Their immense contributions rightfully gained appreciation through the 2016 book and movie, Hidden Figures.

Caresse Crosby

Stolen work: Modern bra

The modern bra was invented by socialite Caresse Crosby when she was frustrated with her corset while preparing for a ball. Although she patented her invention, calling it the backless brassiere, she ended up selling her design for $1,500 to the Warner Brothers Corset Company. Throughout the following decades, this led to millions of dollars worth of profit for the company. Although Crosby is legally the inventor of the modern bra, the Warner Brothers Corset Company does not acknowledge her role publicly, nor is her role well-known historically.

Elisabeth Magie

Stolen work: Monopoly board game

Elizabeth Magie initially invented a board game known as The Landlord’s Game. The design of her game was used as a means to protest large monopolists. She filed for a patent, and while she waited, her game gained traction among small groups. Decades later, a man named Charles Durow copyrighted his own “improved” and simpler version of the game, which he called Monopoly. He sold his game to Parker Brothers, who made Monopoly the phenomenon it is today, and Magie only received a measly $500 from Parker Brothers for her work.

Taylor Swift

Stolen work: Her career

Taylor Swift is arguably one the most successful artists of our time due to her hard work, catchy tunes and legions of loyal fans. However, men in the music industry have repeatedly tried to diminish her career or take credit for it altogether. Take Kanye West, for example. At the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, he ambushed Taylor Swift’s award acceptance on stage, only to express his displeasure of her winning instead of Beyoncé. He didn’t even stop there; he took his disrespect one step further. He credited himself as being the reason for her fame, singing “I made that bitch famous” in his song, Famous. This, along with all the Scooter Braun drama and the public hate she previously received for seemingly no reason, shows she faced her fair share of struggles to get to where she is today. Glad to see her push past the controversies and thrive now!

What happened to these women was a shame. Here’s to a better future where women are given the appreciation and credit they deserve for their phenomenal accomplishments.

Nithusa is a fifth-year science student at McMaster. She is passionate about writing, and HerCampus gives her the opportunity to channel her creativity.