Winter: A Review of My Current Favourite Colleen Hoover Novel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

From Pride and Prejudice to Jane Eyre, romance is my favourite genre. There is something gripping in the storybook concepts of love that keeps me looped in its world. When I begin a romance novel, I simply cannot put it down; I have to know what happens and my questions must be answered immediately. These were my exact sentiments as I picked up my latest read, Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover.

Hoover’s romance books have consumed my life. There is something special about the way she writes: everything from the distinct storylines, to the way she surprises her readers with nail-biting twists is impeccable. I loved reading her most popular book, It Ends With Us and November 9, both of which left me wanting more. Alas, this winter break, I was able to have the pleasure of reading another. 

Ugly Love is centered around Tate Collins, a nurse pursuing her Master’s Degree, who, upon moving in with her brother, Corbin the pilot, encounters his neighbour and friend, Miles Archer. Miles is mysterious, quiet and it almost seems like his eyes hold back a deep story that has never been told. Their first interaction is not the most pleasant, but that does not stop their attraction to each other. As time passes, their undeniable chemistry and attraction grows into a friends with benefits relationship with two unbreakable rules: never ask about the past and do not expect a future. Although the idea of any relationship with Miles thrills Tate, she cannot help but fall for him and wonder more and more about him. The book switches from Tate’s perspective in the present to Miles’ story from the past creating an enthralling plot. Without revealing too much, I can definitely say I absolutely loved the book. Hoover has done it again; engrossed me in yet another story. 

If you need any further prompt to pick up this book and spend all night lost in its world, here is Indigo’s summary:

“When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn’t think it’’s love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.

Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.

Promises get broken.

Rules get shattered.

Love gets ugly.”

Happy reading! 

Janvi Bedi

McMaster '23

Janvi Bedi is a student at McMaster University with a concentration in Honours Life Science. Some of Janvi’s passions include reading, writing, and giving back to the community. She is excited to pursue her love for writing at HerCampus McMaster!