This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

In a world that often expects women to conform to societal standards of femininity, there’s a group of fearless individuals who proudly dance to the beat of their own drum – weird women. These women, both in fiction and reality, defy norms, challenging the conventional expectations placed upon them. As someone who takes pleasure in the unconventional, I find myself drawn to these audacious women who liberate themselves from the constraints of societal norms with little to no desire to conform.

In the realm of literature that sits on my bookshelf, weird women take center stage, capturing my heart and mind with their unapologetic authenticity. These characters often find themselves outside the bounds of traditional femininity, a trait that adds a layer of complexity to their stories. From quirky heroines to enigmatic figures, the portrayal of weird women in fiction transcends the mundane, offering readers a refreshing escape from the unexpected.

When weird women are represented in media, it is most prevalently in the realm of horror. The stories of eccentric women are bound to monsters and fear, representing the notion that unconventional women do not fit within the bounds of conventional society.

As someone who proudly identifies as weird, I can’t help but resonate with or simply just love these characters. The word “weird,” often used to reinforce patriarchal notions of femininity, takes a new meaning when associated with these fearless protagonists. Rather than conforming, these women challenge the very essence of the word. It’s a celebration of uniqueness and an ode to the beauty of stepping outside the boundaries of societal expectations.

My personal library has become a haven for these unconventional heroines. From the whimsical to the mysterious, each book introduces me to a new weird woman, a kindred spirit who echoes the sentiment that being true to oneself is the ultimate act of rebellion. It’s a celebration of individuality, a reminder that conformity should never come at the cost of authenticity.

Three books in particular have greatly contributed to my love of weird women in fiction thus far:

1. “How to Build a Girl” by Caitlin Moran

I read this book for the first time in grade eight. The story follows fourteen-year-old Johanna Morrigan in the year 1990 and her story advances into her young adolescence. Johanna was my first literary introduction to an emotional, raunchy, and beautiful teenage girl, one who navigates the hardships of growing up and finding yourself. I’ve read this story three times now because as I grow up, I find myself wanting to age alongside Johanna and her story of navigating life as a weird woman.

1. “Bunny” by Mona Awad

I think that reading Bunny truly changed my life. This story will leave you with your jaw ajar, frantically turning the pages into the late hours of the night, and questioning reality for weeks after. The women followed in this story are wonderfully weird, and while some may consider this story to fall under the category of horror, it is so much more than that. The true excellence that is Bunny cannot be encapsulated in a few sentences; you must read it for yourself.

1. “Ghost Lover” by Lisa Taddeo

Ghost Lover is my most recent read and is a collection of short stories. Taddeo’s ability to write such complex female characters whose stories unfold over just thirty pages is magical. Each story is uniquely amazing, and the female characters are complex, taboo, and simply weird.

In the end, my love for books about weird women is more than just a literary preference, it’s a celebration of the diversity of womanhood. These characters serve as a testament to the strength that comes from embracing one’s weirdness. So, here’s to the weird women – the rebels, the misfits, and the unapologetically authentic – who inspire us all to break free from the chains of societal expectations and dance to our own beat.

Natalie is in her third year of Honours Health and Society, specializing in Mental Health and Addiction. She loves reading, coffee, and fashion!
Natalie Veenstra is a writer at the Her Campus at McMaster University chapter. She is currently a third year student at McMaster University, majoring in Health and Society Specialization in Mental Health and Addiction. In her free time, Natalie enjoys yoga and going on long walks while listening to music. She loves to read books, watch Rom-Coms, and spend time curating perfect Pinterest boards