Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Experiences

Why Are We All So Obsessed With Rory Gilmore?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Just as you see the first autumn leaf fall on campus, feel a slight chill in the air, and sense the need to randomly start reading a new novel, you know fall has arrived. This can only mean one thing; it’s time to rewatch the most loveable series in television history, none other than, Gilmore Girls. This classic, comforting series revolves around the iconic mother-daughter duo, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, following their life as best friends in the charming town of Stars Hollow. Lorelai and Rory’s small age gap, similar, yet opposite personalities, and love for coffee bring them together. They are treated like family by every neighbor in town and share their witty, humorous relationship with us all. What’s not to love! While Lorelai is a character adored in the world of television, Rory holds a role like no other, perfectly encapsulating the girlhood experience. Gilmore Girls appeals to new audiences every day, continuing its legacy from its arrival on our screens in the year 2000.

The question is: Why does everyone obsess over Rory Gilmore? For the purpose of this argument, we must ignore Rory once she graduated high school and began studying at Yale, as we are all aware of the insufferable and terrible choices that led her to be a character we are constantly annoyed at. Prior to this, and at the start of the series, Rory embodies the sweet, pure, “American sweetheart,” who has never kissed a boy, does not drink or go out to parties, and finishes her homework on Saturdays so she can enjoy relaxing Sundays alongside her mom.

Now, what is reeling viewers in if this show revolves around a girl who would normally be written off in media as a “loser”? This is what makes both Rory and Gilmore Girls special. The writers of the show make sure to create a world where the majority of the light shed on Rory is positive. Yes, she may be a nerd and teacher’s pet, but she is always highly spoken about, conditioning her to not change this lifestyle and rarely question her choices to put academics first. The people who surround her uplift her, from so many adults who eulogize her, to teenagers who are striving to be more academically similar to her, to “bad” boys who never seem to be good enough for sweet Rory, according to everyone around her.

Many girls today convince themselves that they are not living their lives because of things like studying in the library for hours, rather than going out, while Rory is praised for doing this. She is not surrounded by people who make her feel bad for missing out or tell her she is a killjoy. Rory is constantly commended for what she does, while seeing direct validation that her efforts are worth it, like receiving good grades. While students today know that hard work will pay off in the future, it doesn’t always seem this way. Am I wasting my “prime” years away? Am I missing out?

Rory always seems to be on the right path where everything works out for her, from boys to her ever-growing relationship with her mom, to being the “golden-child” of her whole town. Rory receives the all-encompassing approval that we crave. Girls observe this amazing life that always seems to go as planned, and even when there are bumps in the road, Rory can overcome them. It is why we love her. We want a taste of being in her shoes.

While Rory seems to have this perfect life that is romanticized by the audience, we also feel this “fourth wall” broken down between us. This life seems attainable. This balance she experiences can be achieved. At the end of the day, it is also Rory’s “nerd” persona that essentially connects us to her, making us feel like we can relate to her on some level or another.

For the average perfectionist, Rory is an angel of light that can accomplish what we all work towards, while influencing us to continue on our journey. Nevertheless, even Rory experiences stress that builds up and allows us to see our own tendencies in her; this makes Rory human. Being the student of all students, Rory not only thrives but lives on academic validation. I think we all feel connected to Rory. Much of her existence revolves around school, which is what makes her known as this perfect student. The nostalgia we feel as we press play every autumn brings us joy and the feeling of hitting the reset button on our own lives. Life feels almost as though we are starting a new semester with Rory at Chilton, being a studious and determined teen girl. This is a show, right? Rory Gilmore does not exist? True, but although we hold this fictional character on a pedestal, while also searching for ways we relate to her, she is within all of us. The phases in her life enable us, as the viewers, to grow up with Rory. Gilmore Girls allows us to experience heartbreaks, university, takeout movie nights, bad grades, and our growing bonds with our moms, all with Rory by our side.

Molly Taylor

McMaster '26

Molly Taylor is starting her first year as a part-time writer for the Her Campus Magazine at McMaster. She is in her second year of Social Psychology with a minor in Environment and Society. Outside of Her Campus, Molly loves to meet new people on campus and join unique clubs that will enrich her McMaster journey. She was a Welcome Week Representative for the 2023 McMaster Welcome Week, interacting with incoming first years and spreading optimism throughout the campus. She is currently a general member of the McMaster ProcrastiKnitters club, Mac Swift Society, and Sign Language Club. She loves to learn about the psychology of social interaction and the stress of gender expectations. Molly thrives when spending time with family and friends, but also loves to take time for herself. If she has free time, Molly is likely watching Gilmore Girls, New Girl, or one of the Real Housewives franchise shows, surfing Pinterest, going on a walk around campus, reading a new book, or baking with her roommates. Molly adores music and her favourite artists range from Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey, and Phoebe Bridgers, to The Beatles, Olivia Rodrigo, and the Glee Cast.