This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

With the exponential growth of the fast fashion industry, there comes an increased urgency for fashion brands and houses to talk about their ethical commitments towards consumers and the environment around them. The demand for a clean and “eco-fashion” environment is becoming a flourishing design movement. From retailers to luxury brands, more and more fashion houses are making the necessary steps to move away from the scary statistic that is the fashion industry’s carbon footprint. This past year, household names such as Gucci, Chanel and Prada, as well as fast fashion houses like Zara and H&M signed the fashion pact. In this agreement, these brands pledged to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases and emphasize the move of the fashion industry towards a sustainable future. 

Woman sitting on top of mountain at sunrise
Photo by Denys Nevozhai from Unsplash

The sustainability movement is only growing, with many consumers shifting their purchasing power toward investing in timeless pieces from luxury brands, one way to ensure they’re doing their part in going greener. By pushing away the need for quantity, buyers are looking to put their money into clothing and accessories for long term use. From brands like Gucci opting for polyurethane over PVC in their shoulder bags, to H&M’s Conscious collection made from materials like organic cotton and recycled polyester, it seems consumer tastes and preferences are moving away from the ease of fast fashion and toward a more ethical approach.

The onset of the pandemic catapulted society into making more purchases from e-commerce luxury stores and fast fashion giants. However, the pandemic also shed light on environmental concerns surrounding plastic packaging and the carbon footprint of every “confirm order” button pushed. Moving forward from this, multiple luxury retailers and small business began embracing second-hand initiatives. The concept of thrifting and reselling became the golden key that the fashion industry began embracing in 2020.

Online platforms like Farfetch and Net-a-Porter gave a voice and platform to more than 700 small businesses and boutiques that sought to promote environmentally-conscious ways of shopping. Farfetch’s collaboration with Thrift+ now allows customers to order a Thrift+ donation bag with every purchase, with proceeds going to charity as well as Farfetch credit for the customers. Isn’t that a win-win?

Young woman looking at different racks of clothes at a store.
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay

Local thrift stores, vintage shops and resale websites have shifted from the trend of breaking your bank to sustainable saving. It’s no surprise that being stylish comes at a price, but why should it come at the cost of the environment? If you want to ensure you are doing your bit to reduce your carbon footprint, look into re-selling your used or almost-new clothing pieces to your local thrift stores or websites that resell clothing pieces. To name a few, here is a list to get you started on your eco-friendly journey!

1. Zara
  2. H&M
  3. Reformation
  4. thredUP
  5. Farfetch
  6. Black Market
  7. Everlane
  8. Aritzia

Although there’s still a long way to go for the fashion industry, brands that choose to take that first step toward ensuring a sustainable future are paving the way for other luxury conglomerates to follow suit. Sustainability is not just a trend, it’s global movement.

Tanvi is a third year Business Student at the DeGroote School of Business pursuing a major in Marketing with a minor in French. Apart from her passion for writing, Tanvi enjoy's a good fiction book on the weekends and loves taking her dog on playdates to wind down! She is excited to see where her journey with HerCampus takes her.
Tanvi Pathak

McMaster '22

Tanvi is a third-year student Business student at The DeGroote School of Business majoring in Marketing Management with a minor in French. Apart from her passion for writing, Tanvi enjoys a good fiction book on the weekends and loves taking her dog on play-dates!