This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Romantic comedies: what are they? Their basic recipe has remained the same–one cup of romance and one cup of comedy. It’s a genre that has been popular for centuries. From Shakespeare’s plays to the beloved film When Harry Met Sally, these are works of art that we return to time and time again for their banter, laughs, and romance. Truly, there is nothing better than a romantic comedy to brighten your day. 

As a rom-com superfan, here is a short list of my favourite movies. Minor spoilers ahead!

The best rom-com if you…

… want a fairytale romance

A Cinderella Story (2004)

A modernization of the Cinderella folklore, teenager Sam Montgomery is orphaned and left in the care of her cruel stepmother and two stepsisters. With her sights set on attending Princeton, she confides anonymously to her pen pal, Nomad, who also shares the same dream. However, things change when Sam discovers Nomad is none other than Austin Ames, the star quarterback and the most popular boy in school. Fearing rejection if her identity is revealed, Sam attempts to dodge Austin’s efforts to discover the identity of his Cinderella. Who doesn’t love a classic fairy tale story?

Watch it on Netflix or rent it on Amazon Prime

… cannot wait for Christmas

The Holiday (2006)

Calling all Jude Law fans! Two women, – one from the United Kingdom and the other from the United States – spontaneously decide to switch homes during the holiday season after bad breakups. Soon, sparks begin to fly with local men but both realize their return home may end their blossoming relationships. If you’re the type to put up your Christmas decorations on November 1st, this one’s for you (hi, Mom!). 

Rent it on Amazon Prime.

… are still mourning Halloween

Practical Magic (1998)

This movie centers around two sisters, Sally and Gillian, born into a magical family with an ancient curse: the men they love are doomed to die. To protect herself, young Sally vows to never fall in love by casting a true love spell for a man with attributes she believes are too good to be true. Thus, she can never die of a broken heart. However, things become complicated when Sally meets the man from her spell. Although the film received mixed reviews from critics, it resonated with viewers for portraying a story of women’s resilience and sisterhood. If you enjoy this movie, check out Alice Hoffman’s novel of the same name. 

Watch it on Crave or rent it on Amazon Prime

… dream of a Georgian-era courtship 

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

In Georgian England, the five Bennet sisters – Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia – have been raised by their mother with one purpose in life: finding a husband. When two wealthy bachelors, Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, reside in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are thrilled. However, when head-strong Elizabeth encounters proud Mr. Darcy, things don’t go as planned. Even though this film lacks the comedy aspect, I had to include it simply for being the original enemies to lovers. If you enjoy this film, try out the BBC series or Jane Austen’s timeless novel of the same name. 

Watch it on Netflix or Crave

… love the ‘it was all a bet’ trope

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

Andie Anderson writes how-to columns for Composure Magazine. To challenge herself, she plans to write an article titled “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”. Fortunately, advertising executive Ben Barry is her target. However, little does she know, Ben Barry has his own scheme: a bet with his coworkers that any woman can fall in love with him. If Ben succeeds, he gets to lead the advertising for a prestigious jewelry company. When Ben and Andie meet, their plans backfire.

Rent it on Amazon Prime

… love workplace romances

Set It Up (2018)

Two assistants scheme to set up their workaholic bosses into falling in love in hopes of scoring a break. Soon enough, sparks fly along the way. With romantic comedies slacking these days, Set It Up provides a breath of fresh air. Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell are two charming leads with amazing chemistry.

Watch it on Netflix

With some popcorn on a Friday night with your roommates, these movies are guaranteed to make you swoon. For more suggestions, check out my Letterboxd. Enjoy!

Sydney Tomlinson is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. In this role, she writes about a range of topics. Currently in her fourth year at McMaster University, Sydney is majoring in Life Sciences with aspirations of pursuing a career in public health (fingers crossed!). In addition to her role with Her Campus, Sydney is a writer for UNICEF, Friends of Doctors Without Borders, Bite-Sized Science, and Tackling MisInformation (TMI) at McMaster. Alongside her writing, Sydney is a casual member with McMaster's Book Club. In her free time, you'll find her swooning over romance novels and period dramas—particularly the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice!