Style > Fashion

The Shopping Addict: How I Became a Conscious Consumer

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

“Here are 10 must-have autumn wardrobe essentials”.

I see this phrase across my screen for the sixth time in less than an hour as I spend my afternoon scrolling through TikTok.   

I am a self-proclaimed shopping addict. Purchasing the newest “It Girl” sweater gives me an adrenaline rush comparable to sending a risky text or going down a roller coaster. It’s a high that I thrive off of, and then  25 minutes after that purchase has been made, it wears off. The package arrives, and the adrenaline spikes for an hour this time (and honestly, that’s being generous); then it’s gone, again. I’m left never truly feeling satisfied and constantly wanting more. The issue is that right at my fingertips I have the ability to order more. I can open social media and find posts upon posts showcasing clothing, accessories, and beauty products to fulfill this need of clicking “complete transaction.” It’s a vicious cycle that I am aware of, yet haven’t quite figured out how to solve. 

At school, I love to do assignments. I know, this sounds fake, and I’ll admit, it may be a bit of a stretch. But I love to research a topic that I’m passionate about and then write a paper that I’m proud of. What does this have to do with my shopping addiction? I decided to turn my shopping addiction problem into an assignment. How did I do this? I embarked on a personal mission to make my shopping experience more meaningful, budget friendly, and less harmful to the environment. Listed below are some tips on how to tackle a shopping addiction.  

1. Create Shopping Lists

I know, this sounds naive, but it works. Each season, create a list of items you want to purchase. This can include necessities, such as a new winter jacket, and guilty pleasures, such as that expensive lip gloss you’ve been eyeing for weeks. Write this list and stick to it! This prevents you from impulse shopping because something has been labeled the newest must have item. It also helps you curate a more personal sense of style, leaving you happier about not only your shopping habits but also your overall self. 

2. Source Second-hand 

There are so many second-hand clothing options available. From your local thrift store to second-hand designer retail sites such as “The Real Real,” you can almost always find exactly what you’re looking for. Plus, I find it fun and rewarding to dig through hangers or scroll through webpages until I find my dream item. Second-hand shopping is a great way to purchase more sustainably and discover your personal style on a budget. 

3. Let. It. Sit.  

That’s right, let it sit. If you find something online that you feel desperate to buy, let it sit in your shopping cart for 72 hours. I have found that after 72 hours, the excitement of a new item has worn off and you’ll be able to make a more conscious decision about your purchase. You’ll either realize that you still love it, or that you may have just wanted to buy it because you had been scrolling on TikTok for three hours and were dehydrated.  

4. Make Shopping an Experience 

When did shopping shift almost entirely online? Yes, it’s convenient, but as a shopping addict, convenience may not be what you need. I like to make an event out of shopping. Plan a girls trip to the mall or to the vintage stores downtown. Grab a coffee, chat with your friends, and sift through some hangers. Don’t forget to have the list that you made at the beginning of the season on hand. The excitement of online shopping is real, but a day shopping with friends is far more fulfilling.  

I hope that these tips listed above help you become a more conscious shopper. Remember, nobody is perfect and the occasional online guilty purchase is valid. But, if you’re like me and want to break free of your shopping addiction, whether for the environment, the sake of your bank account, or for the fact that your closet is overflowing, these tips are here to help. You deserve to have a closet that you love and shopping habits that you are proud of.  

Natalie is in her third year of Honours Health and Society, specializing in Mental Health and Addiction. She loves reading, coffee, and fashion!