This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Sitting at my desk, staring at my exam schedule, I realized I was halfway through my university degree. I sat there and reflected on how much had changed since my first year and was excited about what would come. Soon after, I realized the change was all tied to one word: “yes.” As soon as I began saying yes to opportunities and taking risks and chances, I was able to aim for and accomplish everything I had hoped for this year and more.  Some may think this is an exaggeration, but it is simply a reality. 

Too often, we are stuck on a path, not realizing we have suddenly sunken into a puddle of quicksand and stayed stationary. If you want to change your life, accomplish a goal, or explore an area of interest, you need to seek it out. Say it even when you think you are not ready, unqualified, or too scared. There is no worse feeling in this world than regretting not trying something. It is all about perspective. If you fail, you learn a lesson, but if you succeed, that might be the best decision you have ever made. 

We always focus on the “what”: what we want to accomplish, what we want to do, and what we want to be. Instead, we need to focus on the how. How do you plan to seek out an opportunity, how do you plan to integrate a goal or habit into your life, and how can you plan to be what you dream of being? The first step is quite simple. Start with one three-letter word. Yes. So, in order to help you say yes more, here are my tips for finding opportunities to say the three-letter magic word: “yes.”

Seek out what you want

It is very easy to sit there and say I want to accomplish this, buy this, or become this. Sometimes we think if we sit there and “want” hard enough, all these opportunities will fall snuggly into our lap. The reality is everybody “wants,” and the difference is people who need. People who need to accomplish this goal so badly that they take the time, effort, and energy to seek out opportunities. So the next time you talk about a goal, ask yourself, am I acting like I want this or need this?

Sleep on decisions

My deal with myself is that if I have to make a bige decision, I always sleep on it. It is so easy to succumb to our subconscious fears and anxiety and make our reflexes immediately shut down and say no. Truly marinate with the idea, and ask yourself, will regret this? What do I stand to lose by saying no or yes? Will my future self thank me for this? What could I learn from this? 

Value experience over reward

In the world we currently live in, it is so easy to be trapped in this mentality that all our actions must be rewarded. You work to make money, join clubs or volunteer because it looks good for your resume, and seek people for the sole purpose of networking. While those things are beneficial and essential, it is also crucial not to lose sight of the idea of passion, humanity, and the value of experience whether positive or negative. It is important to fail, aim for the stars, lose, and make mistakes. There is no value in staying in a hamster wheel of experiences that feel comfortable or are a means to a greater end. Sometimes, you must undergo a task or opportunity simply for the experience and learning, not just for a title, money, or reward, but simply because human beings only grow once they dip their fingers into the uncomfortable. 

Leen Elshikh

McMaster '25

Leen is currently a third year student in the Origins of Disease Life Sciences specialization and is also doing a minor in Political Science. In her free time, she can be found reading a book or making jewelry for her small business!