Life > Experiences

That Feeling When Your Birthday Lands Near a Major Holiday: An Ode to the Halloween Babies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

We all know about the phenomenon of people whose birthdays are so close to Christmas, they become a combined holiday of sorts. Usually, it calls for double gifts, Christmas-themed birthday parties, and perhaps an extended appreciation for the holiday (…or resentment). Christmas is such a monumental holiday that if your birthday lands anywhere near it, you’re automatically a Christmas baby. But what about people born on other holidays? There happens to be another, slightly more niche, group of holiday babies you might not know of. One whose season is most definitely here. Halloween babies, this one’s for you.

It just so happens that I was born very close to a holiday, one day before Halloween to be exact. As a holiday that most would consider sub-par compared to Christmas, I would say that our experiences as a ‘holiday birthday’ population are widely underrated. This is also probably the case since you might not necessarily consider someone a Halloween baby if they were born before Oct 27 or after Nov 1. However, we can all agree that basically the entirety of December is considered to be the Christmas season (at least until Dec 28 or 29, when you might be considered a New Year’s baby instead!) Essentially, Halloween babies are few and far between, but we exist, and this is my experience of what it’s like.

Halloween has always had a special place in my heart. I feel connected to the symbols of Halloween, and I tend to make it a habit to go all out when I dress up and decorate. I have a theory that Scorpio, being the “dark and stormy” zodiac sign, has to do with the dates falling so closely around Halloween; it’s the explanation that makes the most sense anyway. When people hear you were born the day before Halloween, they often make that assumption about you. It’s almost as if as soon as they hear the words “October” and “30,” it’s over. Encountering superstitious people is an interesting experience too, as they might be especially wary around you when they find out you’re a Halloween baby. To be fair, I do have a black cat, but he’s never brought me any bad luck. Luckily, I’m not the most superstitious of people and I find things related to Halloween to be more comforting than anything. Being born so close to the holiday almost feels like I was meant to enjoy it more. I could probably get away with wearing subtle Halloween accessories year-round and always have the perfect explanation for it. I know we all love pumpkins in the fall, but trust me when I say that I feel like I admire them more than the average person. These little things that gain appreciation in October, just in time for everyone’s favorite season just seem to mean more because there’s an associated eminence in knowing that another special day comes with it. I don’t think I would be who I am today if it weren’t for my spookier circumstances, and for that I am grateful.

Then, there are always the parties that accompany birthdays. I have had many Halloween-themed birthday parties, from the time I was seven years old to the present day. I actually used to try and purposefully postpone my birthday or celebrate it early, so as to avoid associating it with Halloween and enjoy both holidays separately. The weekend closest to my birthday would (and always will be) the same as that of Halloween, “Halloweekend” if you will. I think in those years of my life, I just wanted to have a normal birthday like all my other friends and I knew that it wouldn’t be possible if we wanted to celebrate Halloween too. Over time, I have learned to embrace double the fun on those days instead. I mean not everyone has an excuse to prolong Halloween festivities to their birthday! Don’t get me wrong, I will always resent the fact that I could never have a pool party growing up, but what better excuse to have a costume party? Now being in university, I find that everyone is ready to do something really fun on Halloween, and for me, this means they’re ready to have the most fun on my birthday too when we celebrate them together. It becomes this fun little double holiday. If you’re lucky, “Halloweekend” won’t actually fall on Halloween, meaning you get to have a little celebration when you go out on the weekend and on your actual birthday. Not everyone can have a nightclub holiday as their birthday and still do something cutesy like a birthday brunch on the day. One universal, for-the-girls, trouble that we all know, is finding a Halloween costume. You want it to be sexy and recognizable, but also niche and not basic. Now imagine that struggle but you also need the costume to be amazing because it’s your birthday outfit…clearly, the stakes are way higher. So, there are definitely some drawbacks to being a Halloween baby when it comes to celebrating. If you’re still down about it, my best advice is to embrace it for what it is. How lucky are we to be born near a holiday where everyone has such fun and one when stores are usually open!

In the past, I felt like my birthday would be overshadowed by its concurrent major holiday, but now I appreciate how special Halloween feels to me each year, and that I have a unique reason to love spooky, witchy things like lovely black cats and Halloween themed trinkets. If you’re a Halloween baby like me, I hope you feel recognized. For anyone who has ever felt like it might be unfortunate to share your birthday with any holiday, hopefully, this story shows how fun and unique it can be. Birthdays are all so special in their own ways and regardless of the circumstances. They are a reason to celebrate everything you are, even if you happen to be a bit more ghoulish than everyone else!

Amber O'Pray

McMaster '25

Amber O'Pray is a part-time writer for HerCampus McMaster in her third year of Social Psychology with a minor in Business. She enjoys expressing her interests and experiences through writing, especially music, psychology, and interpersonal experience. Professionally, Amber works at McMaster University in a customer service role, helping fellow students navigate success and resources at the university. She is also contributing to initiatives in welcoming first-years to the university and easing their transition. She has held many different roles that have sparked her interest in a career that seeks to work with and help people in the context of careers. She appreciates a perfect iced coffee, learning new things, and curating a Spotify playlist for any given feeling.