Taylor Swift Might Just be a Mastermind: A Midnights Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Taylor Swift has truly done it again. And by “it,” I mean creating a beautiful, lyrical, masterpiece of an album. In its short lifespan of just over a week, the album has indefinitely made its mark on the world, breaking an astronomical number of records worldwide.

I will share my ranking of the album with my personal thoughts on each track, as well as a favourite lyric, and which songs to gravitate toward based on your favourite Taylor album!

13. Labyrinth

This is a beautiful song, but I can’t get over the noises in the background! This is just my personal opinion, and I think it’s still a sweet listen.

Sounds like: folklore

Favourite lyric: “Breathe in, breathe through, breathe deep, breathe out”

12. Midnight Rain  

I know, I know, why is Midnight Rain so low? I understand that this could be seen as criminal by some, but for me, this song just doesn’t do what I need it to do. I can’t tell if it’s doing too little or too much. All I know is that the beginning was a jump scare for me upon my initial listen, and I can’t get over how many people have compared the autotuned voice to James Charles.

Sounds like: 1989

Favourite lyric: “He wanted a bride, I was making my own name”

11. Snow on the Beach (feat. Lana del Rey)

After letting Phoebe Bridgers have a full verse on Nothing New, I may have set my hopes up too high. Unfortunately, this was a let-down. The song is still beautiful, and I enjoy the outro, but I wish Lana had more parts.

Sounds like: folklore

Favourite lyric: “Stars by the pocketful”

10. Lavender Haze

I’m in love with the way that this song kicks off the album and I think it’s a fairly strong opener. It gets me excited for what’s to come, which is exactly what it should do!

Sounds like: Lover

Favourite lyric: “And you don’t really read into my melancholia”

9. Question…?

To me, Question…? is such a fun song. It has got a great beat to bop along to and is also perfect to spontaneously sing to in the car. Plus, I’m a sucker for the clapping sound effect near the end!

Sounds like: 1989

Favourite lyric: “Before you painted all my nights a color I’ve searched for since”

8. Maroon

Taylor Swift’s track two’s tend to be some of my favourites and Maroon didn’t disappoint! I honestly would’ve ranked it higher if it weren’t for some of the amazing other tracks on the album. Putting it at 8th feels wrong, but that’s where it must be.

Sounds like: 1989, Reputation

Favourite lyric: “And how the blood rushed into my cheeks, so scarlet, it was maroon”

7. Anti-Hero

The tune has me dancing, but the lyrics have me crying.

Sounds like: Lover

Favourite lyric: “I’ll stare directly at the sun, but never in the mirror”

6. You’re on Your Own Kid

This one just has me crying. The lyrics are emotional and heartfelt, and definitely had me teary eyed more than once. 

Sounds like: Red

Favourite lyric: “So make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it”

5. Bejeweled

This song makes you feel special like when you walk in a room and feel like you can make the whole room shimmer.

Sounds like: Lover, Reputation

Favourite lyric: “I miss you, but I miss sparkling”

4. Sweet Nothing

I love me a cute little love song and Sweet Nothing achieves it perfectly!

Sounds like: folklore

Favourite lyric: “On the way home, I wrote a poem, you say what a mind, this happens all the time”

3. Karma

This is the dancing around your room song!

Sounds like: Lover

Favourite lyric: “Karma’s a relaxing thought, aren’t you envious that for you it’s not?”

2. Vigilante Sh*t

It took me a moment to process the intro to this. I’m still not over it. Reputation fans, this one is for you!

Sounds like: Reputation!!

Favourite lyric: “Lately I’ve been dressing for revenge”

1. Mastermind

Mastermind is my personal favourite from Midnights because of the tale it weaves. It depicts a story that is personally relatable; wishing to fit in and be liked by everyone to the point that you’re willing to almost rearrange fate. It’s beautiful and makes me reflect.

Sounds like: evermore

Favourite lyric: “No one wanted to play with me as a little kid, so I’ve been scheming like a criminal ever since. To make them love me and make it seem effortless”

There we have it! All of this doesn’t even include the additional incredible tracks in the 3am edition of the album! Hope you enjoyed and check out the album if you haven’t already!

sydney skeete

McMaster '24

Sydney is a fourth year Communication Studies and Theatre and Film major who enjoys writing and could speak for hours on end about why Little Women (2019) is the greatest movie ever made. She’s fluent in English, Taylor Swift lyrics, and Marvel quotes (and she sort of gets French, just not the grammar). She likes to write in her bedroom filled of quotes and movie posters or at the library, iced coffee in hand.