Six Holiday Cocktails to Accompany Your Christmas Countdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Are your holiday decorations up yet? Well, I’m not sure if I’m a little late to the game, but I need to be on my toes for that before Christmas arrives. Speaking of the holiday, Christmas trees and wreaths are not the only stars of the show; whether you are hosting a get-together or enjoying a peaceful and cozy night alone, it won’t feel complete without some drinks to sip on. With the fast-approaching holiday season, many people have already started their Christmas shopping, so why not add some cocktail ingredients to your shopping list to give you a head start during this busy time? It doesn’t matter if you prefer something refreshing or creamy; these six irresistibly delicious drinks will spice up your holiday gatherings and put you in the festive spirit. I have also included some non-alcoholic options for all the non-drinkers so you too can get a taste of the festivity!

Mulled wine/cider

One of the winter classics. Who does not love some warm and tasty cocktail for the colder season? For those of you who are non-drinkers, simply replace the alcohol components with apple cider to make it a mulled cider!

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle of dry red wine
  • 2 cups of apple cider
  • ¼ cup of brandy
  • ⅛ cup of honey
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 orange (thinly sliced)
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 6 black peppercorn
  • Additional cinnamon sticks and orange slices for garnish

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
  2. Simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
  3. Remove cloves and peppercorn, and it’s ready to be served!
pomegranate sangria

You surely will not want to miss out on this yummy sangria! The pomegranate juice adds a little complexity to the flavour, making this beautiful and bold sangria even more lucrative than it already is.

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle of wine
  • 2 cups of pomegranate juice
  • ½ cup of brandy
  • ½ cup of Triple Sec (orange-flavoured liqueur)
  • ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
  • 1 large orange – halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 green apple – halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup of red grapes – sliced in half

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher.
  2. Cover, and refrigerate it for 4-48 hours.
  3. Serve with ice.
Holiday party punch

Want something a little more refreshing? With only four ingredients, this non-alcoholic mocktail can be enjoyed by everyone; even the kids can help out with this easy drink.

Ingredients:

• 4 cups of cranberry juice
  • 1 bottle of sparkling cider
  • 1L of ginger ale
  • ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1 orange-sliced

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients over ice.
  2. Garnish it with orange slices and serve.
espresso soda

I am curious to try this espresso and soda combination. Maybe it will be the perfect afternoon pick-me-up to beat the slump.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of sugar
  • ¼ cup of ground espresso
  • Chilled club soda
  • Chilled coffee-flavoured liqueur (optional)
  • Chilled vodka (optional)

Instructions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil over high heat until it is completely dissolved.
  2. Remove it from heat, add ground espresso, and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  3. Strain, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  4. Add ¼ cup of espresso syrup, fill club soda to the top, and serve with ice.
  5. Coffee-flavoured liqueur and vodka can be added as desired. 
salted caramel white russian

For all the caramel lovers out there, this might be “the” drink for you! Its creamy texture is like a thin chocolate milkshake, but with vodka. Plus, it looks so aesthetically pleasing, you cannot pass on it.

Ingredients:

• 1 part salted caramel liqueur
  • 2 parts salted caramel vodka
  • 1 part half and half
  • Caramel sauce to garnish

Instructions:

1. Combine everything in a shaker.
  2. Drip caramel sauce down the side of the drinking glass, pour in the cocktail and serve with ice.
Peppermint Espresso Martini

Another coffee inspired cocktail, with a holiday twist. This sweet, rich espresso martini is dangerously smooth and easy to drink, and the peppermint flavour definitely adds a little ‘umph’ to it.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 parts peppermint mocha
  • 1 part vodka
  • 1 espresso
  • Splash of cream (optional)
  • Crushed peppermint candy cane and honey to garnish

Instructions:

1. Dip the rim of the martini glass in honey, and rim it with some crushed peppermint candy cane.
  2. In a shaker, combine ice with the remaining ingredients.
  3. Serve it in the martini glass!

I hope you will enjoy these drinks, because I know I will most likely be sipping on them while counting down to Christmas.

Catherine Yu

McMaster '23

Catherine is a fourth-year McMaster student majoring in Kinesiology. Outside of school, she loves to sing, dance, and go on hikes with friends and family! You will often catch her at the candy aisle in the grocery store.