This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

I’m sure many of us can relate to sitting near our phones waiting for that “special someone” to reply back or hanging out with them several times before questioning your relationship status. Add a splash of uncertainty, a dash of little-to-no commitment, a cup of mind games, a teaspoon of playing hard to get, a spritz of being hot and cold, and an optional sprinkle of sexual tension, and that is the recipe to a situationship – the grey area between being friends and dating. Situationships, also known as the talking stage, is a recent term coined by Gen Z. 

In situationships, texting back immediately means you’re desperate, showing interest is cringe, and catching feelings is definitely off-limits. This is dating without commitment and exclusivity. This is the reality of modern dating. 

Situationships are meant to be easy and convenient as it provides more freedom while being able to satisfy their intimacy needs and companionship. Being able to go on dates, getting dinner together, befriending their dog, and meeting their friends. Yet, your partner may be doing the exact same things with other people when they’re not with you. This is when it becomes complicated as the area between friends and dating becomes blurred.

Sometimes, it’s difficult to tell if you’re in a situationship. Most ignore the confusion and jealousy for the brief moments of fulfilling physical and emotional connections. But it gets to a point where exclusivity is needed in a relationship.

Being in situationships can be emotionally draining and often ends up being a waste of time. Playing hard to get and pretending you don’t care is supposedly the “key” to winning someone’s heart. But is it really?

In my personal opinion, playing any sort of mind games is not a great way to start a healthy relationship. While it may be exhilarating in the beginning and gives you a sense of mystery, it will not last in the long run. Once you start to play games, it will likely never stop. Furthermore, a lack of good communication may result in mistrust, confusion and bitterness, which will further damage the relationship.

Remember that no matter which type of relationship you’re in, your feelings matter and it is important to be kind to yourself. While playing hard to get may seem to be the way to go, it is best to be honest about your feelings for your own emotional wellbeing. As always, never settle for less!

Michelle Li

McMaster '24

Michelle is a third year Biomedical Discovery and Commercialization student at McMaster University. When she is not studying, she can usually be found reading, testing new recipes or spending too much money on skincare.