Quizzing Like It’s ’09: Reviving Teen Magazine Quizzes, the Adult-ish Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

For all the nostalgic souls out there who used to drag their parents to the store to grab the latest editions of all the 2000s teen magazines, this one’s for you. Remember the days of flipping through pages ofJ-14 and Seventeen, filling out those “yes or no” questionnaires to determine if you were destined for a “crazy cutie” or a “sporty stud”? (Who lied tho…)

If you are nodding along and giggling then you’re in good company. If you are like me, that love for self-quizzing hasn’t faded one bit, even as we’ve gracefully transitioned into our 20s (or beyond!). The inner child in me still loves any fun activity that lets me click a few questions to determine my “destiny”, or if I give off more Sofia Richie or Hailey Baldwin Bieber vibes.

As a fellow quiz enthusiast, I’ve gone through countless tests over the years– from self-development quizzes to relationship styles and beyond. And let me tell you, they’re not just for filling time on a lazy afternoon. These quizzes are like little gems of self-discovery, perfect for personal development in your career, relationships, and even your self-care routine.

So, whether you’re looking for a cozy night in activity with friends, a pick-me-up during a self-care day, or just something to do when boredom strikes, I’ve got you covered with a list of some of my faves.

1. Quizzes For Relationships

• The Five Love Languages Quiz: this quiz dives into the five love languages created by couples counsellor Dr. Gary Chapman: Words of affirmation, Quality time, Physical touch, Acts of service, and Receiving Gifts. It’s the perfect quiz to get to know how you and your partner like to give and receive love.
  • The 7 Love Styles Test: Expanding on the 5 Love Languages, some researchers suggest there are seven love styles. Expand on your understanding of you and/or your partner’s love preferences with this test!
  • Attachment Style: This is one of my favourite psychology theories posited by John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth. Discover how your attachment style impacts adult relationships, with the four attachment styles: Anxious, Avoidant, Disorganized, and Secure.
  • Zodiac Compatibility Quiz: Into astrology? Take this quiz to see which zodiac sign you’re most compatible with- Author’s Tip: if you match with male Pisces, take the quiz again for your own well-being (kidding not kidding).
  • That Sex Quiz: Looking for a fun way to get to know your partner’s desires? This quiz is designed for couples, meant to be taken separately, then at the end, the results will show your shared sexual desires (The ones you don’t match will remain hidden!)

2. Quizzes For Self-Discovery

• The VIA Character Strengths Survey: Although lengthy, this test will reveal your rankings on the 24 character strengths such as appreciation of beauty, humour, creativity, leadership, and more-great for understanding your strengths.
  • 16 Personalities: From INFP to ESTJ, each four-letter personality type has distinct personality traits that determine your unique gifts and challenges. At the end of the test, your results will show your own “four-letter archetype”, which celebrity shares your personality traits, jobs that are best suited for these traits, and a “character” that aligns with yourself.
  • Difficult Person Test: Although we have our strengths, it is important to gain self-awareness in our areas of weakness. Take this test to see which areas you may be “difficult” such as high levels of dominance, aggression, or manipulation.
  • 365 Test: This website offers multiple tests for self-discovery in a variety of fields such as work, money, friends, and more. If you’re looking for a whole 365 get-to-know-you, give this website a look!

3. Quizzes For Fun

• Cosmopolitan Quizzes:  Take these fun sex, personality, love, and friendship magazine quizzes to revive the teen spirit in you. (Note: some of them require a subscription to Cosmopolitan magazine)
  • Seventeen Magazine Online Quizzes: This one tugs at the heartstrings and brings out the little girl who used to dress up for Justin Bieber concerts in hopes of being his One Less Lonely Girl (Dude you were 9). With hundreds of online quizzes ranging from relationships, friendships, pop culture, and more, have some light-hearted ones too.
  • Rice Purity Test: Ever wanted to know how “innocent” you are? You may have heard of this silly quiz with very random questions, starting very innocent, to very intense. Scores on the Rice Purity Test range from 0 to 100, with 0 being the “least pure” and 100 being the “most pure” (Hey! No judgment here)

So, whether you’re starting on a journey of self-discovery or just indulging in some lighthearted fun, these quizzes offer a great blend of nostalgia and personal growth, reminding us that sometimes, the best way to understand ourselves is by revisiting our favourite childhood pastimes.

Cassandra is an executive writer at Her Campus, McMaster chapter. She plays a pivotal role, where she provides insight and direction for content creation. Beyond her campus, Cassandra is currently in her third year at McMaster University, pursuing a BA in Honours Social Psychology with a concurrent certificate in Business Administration. Professionally, she holds the position of Clinical Administrative Assistant at the Family Psychology Centre in Toronto. In this capacity, she collaborates closely with psychotherapists, amassing invaluable, real-life experience in the realm of child psychology. Recently, she has also embarked on a short-term marketing project with Everwell Counselling. This venture not only provides her with a deeper insight into psychology but also offers an opportunity to apply her technical and digital writing expertise in the domain of social media marketing. In her free time, Cassandra has a passion for working with children, often babysitting, fueled by her aspiration to one day venture into the field of child psychology or family counselling. She's deeply engrossed in understanding the nuances of mental health, with a particular interest in both sexual and mental wellness. Always up for an adventure, Cassandra enjoys hiking with friends, shopping, and exploring new coffee shops and restaurants. As a true extrovert, she thrives on meeting new people and effortlessly forms bonds, constantly expanding her circle of friends.