This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Unfortunately, western media is quick to depict Islam in a negative manner. Misconceptions are common knowledge; “Your religion oppresses women,” “Your religion is extreme,” but when have you ever heard the media talk about the beautiful parts of Islam? There must be a reason that 2 billion people in the world follow Islam. Even though I wholeheartedly believe there’s so much beauty within Islam, here is a list of 5 beautiful things I particularly love: 

1. Prayer (Salah) 

You know that feeling when everything is right in your world? The best way to describe it is ultimate peace. Just comfort and happiness, in the most warm way. Maybe it’s when you’re driving around with your friends and there’s a beautiful sunset, or sitting by the beach listening to the waves. My peace is when I am praying. A time when everything in my surroundings falls silent. It’s common for us to feel like we’re constantly rushing, going from one place to another. Like time is working against us and we can’t keep up because things are constantly changing, but one thing that stays consistent for Muslims is our daily prayers. Praying 5 times a day usually seems excessive to non-Muslims, but it’s kind of like our own method of recharging regardless of what’s going on in the world. It’s a much-needed break from reality, a chance to catch our breath, and most importantly, an opportunity to connect with God without anything or anyone else getting in the way. Whether I am having a horrible day or the best day, it’s a way to remind myself that there is more to life than that exam or that assignment. 

2. The Quran 

To many, the Quran is just a book, but to Muslims, it’s a guide to living. The stories, lessons, history, and science are all mesmerizing, but what I find the most compelling is how it’s applicable to so many diverse situations. From the very first page, the words capture you. Questions you may have had your entire life are answered in an instant. As the book continues, the depth does not deteriorate. Whether you have large questions like, “What is the meaning of life? Why are we here?”, “How was the universe created?” or even smaller questions like, “My friend upset me and I’m not sure whether I should forgive them or not?” In a very prominent way, for Muslims, the Quran is the primary resource on how to navigate our lives. This is incredibly comforting since there is stability in our beliefs. In my opinion, it is a gift and a privilege. 

Another aspect of the Quran that I love is that when Muslims read the book, it’s not the same every time. Sure the words never change, but the perspectives we read it through are different. The linguistic intricacies allow for endless possibilities. I could read a passage when I am feeling hopeless and find hope, but I could also read that same passage when I am feeling grateful and take note of all the blessings mentioned. Even though there is a context and a direct interpretation provided by scholars, emotions impact the way we react to certain words each time. It’s similar to when you are listening to a lecture, and you feel like the professor is talking directly to you. This could make you reflect on yourself more when in reality it’s more general and applicable to an entire category of humans. 

3. The Community 

Imagine having 2 billion people as close relatives in your life; people you depend on, people you trust, people you love – that’s what the Muslim community is like. From a young age, we are taught that Muslims are like brothers and sisters. We are one big family, or “ummah”. When one of us is in pain, all of us are in pain. When one of us needs help, people are always ready to offer help. Muslims believe that this life is not just about ourselves, but everyone surrounding us, which is why the act of giving is so important within the religion. In Islam, Muslims are required to donate each year (zakah) to help those in need within communities; but when we can’t donate money, things like smiling and cleaning are considered a charity. This act of giving is even seen in smaller communities, like the McMaster Muslim Student Association. The club constantly tries to make both Muslims and non-Muslims feel welcome. They provide mental health support, workshops, meal plans, and so much more. A recent example is the infamous HSR strike. Knowing that this would affect many community members, the club immediately sent out a message on the group chat saying that if anyone needed a ride to and from campus, they could help. It’s moments like these that always make me feel like I am not alone in this world, that people – regardless of whether I know them or not – care about me. 

This feeling of community and family is especially prominent during Jummah (Friday prayer), Ramadan (the month we all fast), and Eid (our celebration twice a year). These are all times when we gather together and connect with one another through our love for the religion. Times when we pray next to one another, shoulder to shoulder, regardless of who is next to us because we are a family. 

4. Hope during times of difficulty 

It’s no mystery that this world has unpleasant realities. There is death, heartache, financial burdens, earthquakes, hunger, war, and the list could go on. A lot of people question why these things happen, “if there is a God then why is there so much bad in the world.” But without bad in our lives, how will we recognize the good? In Islam, there is this notion that this life is a test. The test is not meant to be easy, but as long as you try to get through it and have faith, you can pass. There is also this idea that God never tests you with something more than you can handle; this has always been my beacon of hope. Regardless of what I am going through, whether it’s exam season making me stressed, or a larger hardship in life, because of my faith, I know for a fact I can handle it. I remind myself that if this is my test, as long as I persevere I can survive, and I may even become a better person because of it. 

One example of having faith and remaining hopeful is seen clearly through the Palestinian Muslims of Gaza. There is so much footage you can find on social media where they are thanking God, despite the genocide they are facing. Even though they have lost so much they still say “God is sufficient for us”. They have been given a test that is so difficult, but they know that they can handle it, and they will be okay. I admire their faith, their strength, and their resilience. Sometimes, all you need is that light in a tunnel of darkness, and for Muslims, that is always Islam. 

5. Modesty 

Modesty can mean different things to different people. In Islam, both men and women have their own versions of modesty. However, what is most well-known, and the one I can speak to, is the hijab. I’m a girl who decided to wear the hijab at the age of 12 – yes, very young, I know. Back then I didn’t fully understand the meaning behind it, just that religiously, that’s what I was supposed to do. Honestly, I think it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. The hijab is usually portrayed as a burden, an oppressive force, and while for some people, it might be, for me it’s the opposite. First and foremost, it’s a reminder of my values. A reminder to take care of my faith and my heart because that is what defines who I am. It’s also a reminder that as a Muslim, I need to act a certain way, especially because I am a representation of my religion. Perhaps by opening the door for someone, I can change their perspective on Muslims as a whole. 

The hijab is also a way for Muslim girls to redefine beauty standards. Yes, I can be beautiful in a strapless dress, but I can also be beautiful while being covered too. Honestly, the hijab makes me feel special and protected in a way. A lot of Muslim girls describe it as a crown that they wear on a daily basis, and I have to agree. As a woman who wears the hijab, I have the privilege of feeling free in my own body. I don’t have to worry about others’ perception of my body because they don’t know what it looks like anyway. I know that when I am having an interaction with someone it’s not about how my body looks, but how my personality and my intellect appear.

To the Muslim readers: I know many of you know a lot of the information mentioned in this article, but regardless, I hope you enjoyed reading and maybe even related to my words. 

To the non-Muslim readers: I hope you learned something new about Islam. I promise Muslims aren’t who the media portrays us to be. I hope that now if a person were to mention Islam your first thought isn’t that we are violent, but that we are people of peace.

Nour Abousamra

McMaster '26

Nour Abousamra is a Writer at the McMaster chapter of Her Campus. Beyond Her Campus, Nour is working towards completing her Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree in the Integrated Business and Humanities Program at McMaster University. Additionally, Nour is a mentor in the First Year Orientation Program (FYOP), where she gives advice and ensures that first-years are enjoying their time at McMaster. Nour has experience in the sales industry, where she worked as a Sales Associate at Bath and Body Works for almost 2 years. During her free time, Nour is part of a basketball intramural team on campus. Outside of school, she enjoys reading romance books, going to the gym, watching F1, shopping and travelling. However, she will more likely be sitting in bed watching a rom-com she’s seen before, or scrolling endlessly through TikToks. Nour’s upbringing in Egypt, Canada, and the United Arab Emirates has shaped her views on culture, religion, and the world we live in. She is always making an effort to learn and understand what is unknown. Nour is looking forward to her future experiences with Her Campus and would love for readers to reach out and let her know their thoughts and opinions on articles. Instagram: nour_abousamra246