This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Growing up on the Internet, Gen Z has been exposed to constant media coverage of tragedies and suffering. We are open to understanding the hardships minority groups face and are aware of global issues. I don’t need to convince my peers that climate change is real or that women’s oppression persists — we all know!

However, this constant exposure to negative news can lead to empathy fatigue, where we begin to feel helpless and become desensitized to injustices. Oftentimes, we don’t have a clear idea or plan of action on how to help, if we can offer any help at all! Sure, we may sign petitions online and post on social media, but many of us are not personally involved in lobbying for change or supporting vulnerable people in our local community.

Seeing all these problems and not being able to solve them has led to a pile up of pent-up frustration on social media, in addition to “slacktivism.”

The environment on Twitter is a great example of what happens when a desire for social change lacks direction. Twitter rants and threats are not effective in changing people’s minds. Celebrities get cancelled every other day, but none are truly de-platformed. Stories about climate change trend, but quickly lose traction without policies changing. Posting a black square for BLM may show support, but how much of this is performative?

So what can you do? Raising awareness on social media can be helpful when there is action that follows. One example is fundraisers for nonprofits. When YouTube videos or live stream events have fundraisers attached, millions of dollars can be raised. In addition, Internet communities have come together in the past to donate to charities and local shelters. Online petitions can also help if they outline measurable goals and target specific decision-makers who will receive them and act on the people’s behalf. And of course, this does not replace getting involved in your local community by volunteering or joining associations, as well as lobbying for change by attending protests, calling representatives, and electing officials into power who will advocate for the issues you care about.

Internet discourse is only the first step; it gets the word out, but shouting out into the void hoping for change only works when it can inspire the collective to organize and act. It is easy to become discouraged, but Rome was not built in a day and change is slow and the same. All in all, posting on social media does not bring change in and of itself. In reality, it is a low-stakes and often superficial way to show solidarity. However, it has the potential to be a great tool to generate support for lesser-known causes, and to help organize the masses for action.

Jennifer Zhu

McMaster '24

Jennifer Zhu is in her third year studying Chemical Biology at McMaster. She writes about how it feels being a modern day consumer of the Internet, spending most of her free time watching YouTube, cooking, and drawing.