girl in red Now Officially Owns the Month of October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

While a lot of people might first associate the month of October with things like Halloween, pumpkin spice, and cozy sweaters, my first thought is none other than Norwegian singer-songwriter girl in red. Known for her soft vocals and sincere lyrics, girl in red holds a special place in my heart. 

I first began listening to her music while in high school and have been an avid fan ever since. In a world where WLW (women-loving women) relationships are often catered to the male gaze, girl in red brings us some much-needed representation. She offers us personal, authentic, and frankly vibey music about infatuations, love, and heartbreak from a sapphic perspective. So of course, I lost my mind when I caught wind of a (possible) new project. 

On September 22nd, girl in red posted on her Instagram a compilation of pictures of her iconic red sweater and slyly captioned it “we fell in love in october season…” While somewhat vague, the post had me and other fans excited about the possibility of new content. This very well could have just been a nod to the obvious upcoming month and to her old song we fell in love in october released back in 2018, but I had hope! 

Not long after, a new single was announced, titled (drumroll please) October Passed Me By and was set to be released on October 14th. The parallel between the song titles is obvious. How were they to be connected? Was this another love story or a continuation of the one introduced in 2018? As I counted down the days till the release of this new song, girl in red surprised us with another announcement. Not only would this new single be released with a music video, but also a short film (Taylor Swift fans know all too well how emotionally devastating and captivating these short films could be). 

I stayed up until midnight for the release of this song and it was worth every sleepless minute. October Passed Me By acts as a sequel to we fell in love in october. The new song takes place many years after the initial romance, and unfortunately, it did not end well. The narrator of the song reflects bittersweetly on a relationship that wasn’t always perfect. She laments about how strongly she once felt. An all-consuming love is now nothing more than a memory. 

If we fell in love in october is the bright red of flushed cheeks and the excitement of new love, October Passed Me By is the fading red of fall leaves on the ground and vague memories of an old lover. The song has a simple and dreamy melody giving us a nostalgic feeling. The music video with its muted colour palette and intimate point-of-view shots helps to visually tell us this heart wrenching story. As if I wasn’t already a distraught pile of feelings, the music video then has the audacity to end with a black screen which reads simply “To be continued…” 

WHAT. DOES. THIS. MEAN. 

This obviously suggests several possibilities. Another song which continues this story is very likely. Perhaps the story of a new lover, one that is less teenage excitement and more so a steady, mellow love. Another short film is also on the table. I dare to hope that girl in red has a second album in the works… 

Whatever the case, this song has quickly become one of my new favourites. While certainly sadder than we fell in love in october, it’s just as good. It presents a realistic view of relationships; they don’t always work out and that’s okay. This song is comforting for anyone who is mourning a relationship and fits right in with the sad girl autumn aesthetic. (Perfect for those foggy morning walks if you ask me). 

So, if I were you, I’d go add October Passed Me By to your fall playlist. I know it’s already on mine and on its way to becoming my new most listened-to song.

Cynthia Jimenez is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. Their articles cover a range of topics including music, literature, campus life and dating. Beyond Her Campus, Cynthia works as a Content Manager for the Navy News, a peripheral team of the McMaster Humanities Society, where she works on a team dedicated to connecting students with the faculty of Humanities. Moreover, she continues to be a social media coordinator for a sustainability oriented club, McMaster's Formula for Our Future. Cynthia has also written pieces for the Unspoken Student Poetry Anthology .They are currently a Third Year student at McMaster University, majoring in Greek and Roman Studies with a minor in Gender Studies. In her free time, Cynthia enjoys crocheting and making her way through her never-ending to-be-read list. They are always willing to buy concert tickets and has recently started collecting CDS.