This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Every January, millions of people around the world create New Year’s resolutions. We resolve to spend less money, exercise, read more, and so on. If you are falling behind and have yet to make New Year’s resolutions, you are in luck. Here are four goals that I have set for myself this year: 

Take more risks

Taking more risks could mean anything! Do you want to start a new hobby but are afraid of failing? You will not know unless you try. Do you think someone in Thode Library is cute, and you want to introduce yourself? Say hello. While keeping yourself wrapped in a little cocoon is cozy, you may miss out on many new experiences. When you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backward. Practice a little bravery with me. 

Keep a journal

I started keeping a journal to document my final two years of university. The Five Minute Journal by Intelligent Change is a gratitude journal with pages for six months’ worth of daily entries. Journaling encourages you to spend five minutes each morning and night writing down positive aspects of your day. For a busy student, this journal is perfect for reducing stress, organizing your thoughts, and practicing gratitude.

Wake up earlier

There is a famous quote that reads “the early bird catches the worm.” According to encouraging research, women who get up early are less likely to experience mood disorders like depression and anxiety. Many claim that in the early hours, there are fewer distractions, allowing them to focus on themselves. Personally, I am attempting to wake up 15 minutes earlier each week. Experts say to experiment. Do not just listen to me—figure out what works best for you. Sweet dreams!

Do more things alone

Like me, you probably cringed when you read that subtitle. However, hear me out. Even if you are a social butterfly, there are times when being alone is simply unavoidable. The more you do things independently, the more comfortable you will become with being alone. According to studies, people who spend more time alone report higher life satisfaction and are happier. So, the next time you think to yourself, “I would do this if I had someone to go with,” do it anyway! It is a fact of life, so it’s crucial to learn to be by yourself and feel at ease by being with only yourself.

Do you believe that these resolutions are out of your comfort zone? If so, consider trying them out with me! This year, you do not need to be one of the 50% of people who do not follow through with their resolutions. You can do this!

Sydney Tomlinson is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. In this role, she writes about a range of topics. Currently in her fourth year at McMaster University, Sydney is majoring in Life Sciences with aspirations of pursuing a career in public health (fingers crossed!). In addition to her role with Her Campus, Sydney is a writer for UNICEF, Friends of Doctors Without Borders, Bite-Sized Science, and Tackling MisInformation (TMI) at McMaster. Alongside her writing, Sydney is a casual member with McMaster's Book Club. In her free time, you'll find her swooning over romance novels and period dramas—particularly the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice!