This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Around this time last year, I went to my first concert. Quite simply it was one of the best experiences of my life. I saw girl in red at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Toronto. Hearing the songs I listened to on an endless loop live, to feel the beat in my chest and to have hundreds of people sing it along with me, was a surreal experience. To have the girl in red less than 10 feet from me was even more surreal.

From that point forward I became a self-appointed “concert girly” alongside my concert buddy Abby. I’ve come to realize that hearing live music is one of my favourite things in the world. In these past 12 months, I have gone to 8 concerts and currently have 4 more concerts lined up for the rest of the year.

Now that the weather is starting to (hopefully) get warmer and summer concert season is around the corner, I thought it would be a good idea to share with y’all the essentials I always bring with me to concerts.

1. A Reliable Concert Buddy or Two

Whether you’re standing in lines for hours or showing up when the doors open, having a concert buddy is always a good idea. While I understand the appeal of experiencing a concert by yourself, it makes me feel better to have someone with me to ensure each other’s safety, especially as a young woman.

2. A Portable Charger

I think we’re all guilty of going on our phones too much. My phone battery always seems to be almost dead by the time I get into a concert. Having a portable charger ensures you’re able to take all those fun photos and videos. It’s also super important to be able to contact your concert buddy in case you get separated or need to order yourself an Uber home.

3. Snacks

This tip might be more applicable for those of us who will wait 6+ hours in line in hopes of getting barricade, but snacks are a must. This not only keeps me energized throughout the day, but it also ensures I don’t spend more money than necessary. My favourite snacks to bring are popcorn and citrus fruits such as oranges and mandarins.

4. A Comfy and/or Cute Fit

Personally, I like to dress on theme for concerts and try and match the vibe of the artist. For example, I wore black clothing and ghost earrings for Phoebe Bridgers, and I wore bright colours and Converse for Wallows. Whatever your prerogative is, make sure to wear something that makes you feel good about yourself.

5. Cash AND Card

Every concert venue and its march vendors are different. Sometimes people only take cash or only take cards, so it is essential to keep both on you. Whether it’s getting a drink or buying fun, overpriced merch, I like to make sure I can get what I need.

Bonus After Care Item: Brown Noise Playlist

I don’t know about you, but my ears always ring when I get home from concerts. This often makes it hard for me to fall asleep once I get home. A lot of people know about white noise and its static-like sound, but recently I have discovered brown noise. It’s meant to drown out background noises, but I find it to be softer and easier to fall asleep to.

So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy those concerts!

Cynthia Jimenez is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. Their articles cover a range of topics including music, literature, campus life and dating. Beyond Her Campus, Cynthia works as a Content Manager for the Navy News, a peripheral team of the McMaster Humanities Society, where she works on a team dedicated to connecting students with the faculty of Humanities. Moreover, she continues to be a social media coordinator for a sustainability oriented club, McMaster's Formula for Our Future. Cynthia has also written pieces for the Unspoken Student Poetry Anthology .They are currently a Third Year student at McMaster University, majoring in Greek and Roman Studies with a minor in Gender Studies. In her free time, Cynthia enjoys crocheting and making her way through her never-ending to-be-read list. They are always willing to buy concert tickets and has recently started collecting CDS.