5 Things You Should Know Before Adopting a Shiba Inu Puppy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

The Shiba Inu – foxlike, unique, and known for being the screaming “doge” on the internet – has become widespread within many North American homes in the last few years. Don’t let their witty personalities and cute curled tails fool you, as Shiba’s are also one of the most difficult dog breeds to train. 

My family and I learned to accept this fact for the past two years since Tetsu, our sesame shiba, entered our lives. Yet, all these attributes and qualities, the good and the bad, help us to understand and love her for who she is! 

Here are 5 simple but important pieces of advice my family and I would recommend to any new Shiba Inu owners:

Shibas are hard to train

As mentioned above, Shiba Inus are among the hardest breeds of dog to train. If there was one word to describe my dog, it would simply be “stubborn.” This is because Shibas are naturally very strong-willed and tend to think for themselves. 

During the first few months, a 15-minute walk would turn into an hour, simply because Tetsu didn’t see it in her best interest to walk at that particular time. As such, Shibas do not bow easily whatsoever, especially to activities they do not want to partake in.

We took Tetsu to three puppy training courses at PetSmart within the first 8 months. It was important for her to see other dogs being trained, and for us to actively follow training advice at home. We were not afraid to be assertive when telling Tetsu, “we are doing this now,” while still allowing her to do what she personally wants so that we don’t frustrate and suffocate her. The key is to use positive reinforcement training. 

Purchase a good harness

Shibas are natural hunters who will tend to get sidetracked in the wild and run off without looking back. That is where the importance of a good harness comes in, because, as my dad explains, shibas are the “masters of escape” or “Houdini.”

Shiba Inus have naturally slender necks that allow collars to easily slide right off their heads. A harness will secure your puppy through the neck area, as well as behind their hind legs to further guarantee that they will not be able to escape.

Within her first 3 months, Tetsu had either escaped from or chewed through five harnesses! It was difficult to not feel anxious every time we took her outside without the idea of her escape, until we invested in a Julius K-9 Canada harness. 

Shibas do not require lots of attention

If you are looking for a dog to shower with love and affection, then the Shiba Inu may not be the dog for you. While they love playing, Shibas also will not always appreciate the playful energy you bring, especially if they did not intend to play with you at that time. They are very independent, self-sufficient dogs, known as “the cats of the dog world.” On the other hand, if you are looking for a dog with a separate identity from you, the Shiba is definitely for you! 

Socialize your shiba 

As mentioned, Shibas typically have very stubborn and independent personalities. However, they still have a large potential to bond with other dogs! 

The key is to bring them to meet other dogs, such as in a fenced in dog park, a few times before they are 6 months old. This way, they are more inclined to see other dogs rather than developing closed off, territorial personalities. It will also help your dog interact with other humans as well, and even yourself, as they will be happy when you bring them to see other companions. 

Shibas need lots of exercise 

Due to the fact that Shibas were originally hunting dogs, they need lots of stimulation, play, and long walks. Shiba Inus do not require too much attention, but they still require exercise each day, or else they will be easily frustrated and feel unfulfilled. 

We walk Tetsu twice a day for at least half an hour, and make sure to have a good play session with her after each meal. We also bring her to a fenced dog park often, where she can run around without a leash. 

Although it seems like we are the experts with Shibas, the reality is that we still have lots to learn and are continually doing so each day. It is important to be patient and accept Shibas as what makes them crazy, interesting, and unique as your pet.

Erin Hsue

McMaster '23

Erin is a McMaster student pursuing a major in Biology and a minor in English & Cultural Studies. Aside from her studies, Erin loves discovering new music, journaling, and thrifting. She hopes to spark change and raise awareness through her articles.