This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

My favorite time of year has always been Christmas. It’s the one time of the year when people can give up their selfish tendencies and think of others for a change. It’s a time for peace, a time for communities to be brought together in celebration of each other. 

Every year my Mom and I adopt a family, meaning we’re given the Christmas wishlist of a family less fortunate than us. We then go out and buy whatever is on the list, and the gifts are sent out to the family. This is something I love to do, as giving gifts is one of my favorite things about the holidays. I’m fortunate enough to have everything I could want or need. The holidays are a time for me to share what I have with those who have to go without. 

Baking and cooking are another part of my holidays. My mom makes these delicious Russian Tea Ball cookies. They’re a cookie filled with walnuts and rolled in powdered sugar. When I was younger I didn’t like nuts, but now that I’m older I do, so these cookies are amazing at Christmas time. I also make the Wilson family Peanut Butter Blossoms. These cookies are an essential part of Christmas. They’re my dad’s favorite cookie, and I love making them every year. My first taste of chocolate actually came from helping my Grandma make the cookies. Peanut Butter Blossoms are a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss pressed into the center. When I was younger, my Grandma asked me to unwrap the kisses from their foil. I did so without eating a single one. Grandma let me eat one, and I was immediately hooked on chocolate. 

I am also an avid nutcracker collector, something not many people know about me. Every year I get at least one new one. I’m not sure how the tradition started, but I love how unique each one is. I have some that come up to my waist, and I have some that are no bigger than my hand. They bring me so much joy. I can’t wait to see what kind I get this year!

Christmas will always be my favorite holiday. Some might say that the holidays are a time of noise, greed and consumption. To be fair, this is partially true. There are those out there who are consumed by greed around this time of year. But if you can push these people aside and really dig down to what the holidays are really about, you’ll find the true spirit of Christmas. Everything is so bright and cheerful, I can’t imagine people being unable to enjoy the little things that come with the holidays. For me, it’s so much more than getting. It’s about seeing my family and being with them. It’s about doing nice things for other people for no reason at all. Christmas is a time where I can show the love I keep in my heart for the season year round. I look forward to this Christmas because of how happy the holiday makes me.

Shana is an English Literature and Secondary Education major. She loves to write and has been writing since early middle school. She hopes to have her first book published within the next few years. She also enjoys knitting, singing, and cooking.