What to do in North Adams: 3 things to put on your radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

The biggest complaint I hear from MCLA students is the lack of things to do in town. While at first glance this may seem true, in reality North Adams is like a diamond in the rough. There’s a lot more opportunity out here than you might think! Here are the top five things to check out in the North Adams area.

MASS MoCA

Even if the arts aren’t your thing, MASS MoCA still provides a cool experience and is a huge part of what makes the Berkshires unique. From art exhibits to music festivals, there’s always something new and exciting happening here. At the time of writing, MoCA has recently hosted FreshGrass and The Weepies and currently features work by Anish Kapoor, Sol LeWitt and Franz West.

The museum provides a great opportunity for Arts Management students as well. Not only does MASS MoCA provide internships, but they are always open to volunteers, meaning they’re a great resource for references, training, and field experience if you want to work in the arts or in nonprofits in general.

Similar places in the area include Tupelo Press and the Clark Art Institute.

Korean Garden

This restaurant is one of my favorites in town. Located within walking distance of the college, Korean Garden provides a pleasant atmosphere and a plethora of Asian cuisine. If you’re into Asian food, I would highly recommend theirs! The entrees are delicious and the food’s quality is excellent. Their prices are fairly low as well, so there’s no reason not to give this one a try. It’s the type of place where it’s easy to find “favorites” — whenever my friends and I go there, one always gets chicken terriyaki, another always favors their sushi platters, and I default to bento boxes. There’s so much on the menu, though, it’s easy to explore new things with every visit. I promise you’ll never be bored!

If you’re not into Asian foods, there are plenty of other places you can go: Grazie, Ramunto’s, and Brewhaha to name a few.

Theatre Productions

Don’t forget to take advantage of what’s on campus, too! There are quite a few theatre and performance-based clubs on campus that put on shows throughout each semester. Ticket prices are slashed for students, so when opening night comes around you can see a quality show for less than you spent on a cup of coffee. Of the plays I’ve been to on campus, it’s been evident with every one that the cast and crew truly put their hearts into their work. The least we can do is support them! Oftentimes they’ll put on themed shows that touch on topics in other classes. By attending these shows, you’re sinking deeper not only into the arts but enriching your own education as well.

If you really don’t like the theater, just look around you! There’s plenty to find on campus if you look; I’ve never been able to go through a day here without finding out about some sort of event going on. There really is something for everyone here, and all you have to do is find it. 

Molly is a senior at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. When she's not pursuing an English degree she's either writing or thinking about writing. Passionate about the craft since she could hold a pencil, Molly gravitates toward prose and poetry. She's got a lot to say about a lot of things, and her need to create carries over to several other platforms. She's a sucker for books, video games, YouTube and nonprofits, and wants to be able to work in them all. Her dream is use her voice to make a living, though it's unknown what she'll attempt first.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.