dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three ways to survive a long distance relationship during the holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Let’s face it: finding love in college is hard. Sure, there’s a huge dating pool to swim in, but that doesn’t guarantee that you’ll find someone.

I got extremely lucky with who I ended up with. His name is Nolan, and we met through the most cliché platform: by posting my schedule on our class’ Facebook page. He commented, saying that we shared Introduction to Statistics at 8am, three days a week. He friend requested me, and I messaged him, asking if he wanted me to bring him coffee for that terrible class. He laughed and said that if he did drink coffee, then he would. I found out that he lived one floor below me, and we decided to be walking buddies to class. Little did I know, walking buddies would soon turn into long-distance lovers.

After Nolan withdrew from MCLA at the end of September, I knew that our relationship would be hard to maintain, but worth every tear, every second of pain, and every event I skipped, just so I could Skype him. So far, I’ve driven a total of 1,200 miles and paid $21 in tolls just to visit him on three separate occasions, but it’s worth the four hour drive and the scary Mass Pike. I’ve spent Columbus Day weekend, Halloween, and Thanksgiving with him, but as Christmas draws nearer, I began to wonder how we could see each during winter break? It’s easier when I’m at school, because I’m in the same state as him, but when I go home, I’ll be in central Vermont, a whopping 5 hours away from Cape Cod. So how can one spend the holidays with their significant other?

1.      If you can, book bus tickets or take a road trip to visit them!

I know that this is only practical if you have the funds to do it, or they only live a few states away, but try to book a bus to go visit them! If you have your license (like me), drive to see them! Since I’ve driven the last three times, Nolan decided that he’s going to take a MegaBus to see me over New Years! Bus tickets range from $30-$80 for the most part, so ask for them as an early Christmas gift from your family, or ask for gas cards if you plan on driving.

2.      If traveling is impractical for you, mail your gifts to each other and open them over Skype!

Sometimes traveling to see your love just isn’t in the budget, so to keep the spirit up, try mailing your presents to each other, and then open them over Skype so you can see the look on their face when they get that sick, new pair of headphones. This also gives you guys a chance to throw it back to the old days, when long distance couples would send each other letters. Believe me, a hand written letter in fun pen colors says WAY more than a text with five kissy-face emojis.

3.      Watch Christmas movies over Rabbit!

Time to break out the footie pajamas for this one! I know that I’m going to miss out on cuddling up under piles of blankets while watching The Polar Express, but you can still do something similar if you’re missing out on the familiarity of your night-in dates. Rabbit is a website that allows you to video chat and watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube at the same time, so grab that hot cocoa and get ready for laughter-filled movie night, even if you and your significant other are hundreds of miles apart.

I hope that these ideas were helpful enough to give you some loving, Christmas cheer, as well as help find solutions to the ever-present struggle of long distance relationships. Until next time, have a happy holiday season, and stay warm during this frosty winter, just like Nolan and I!

So what happens when you mix gaming, writing, dancing, social media exploring, and constant worrying into a big bowl? You get me, Ericka. I'm an English/Communications major with a concentration in Broadcast Media and a minor in Marketing. I'm from central Vermont, in heart of of the country, but I call MCLA my home.