Spooky Cutie: Libby Ryan-Small

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Activities: Technical Departments for Main Stage and Harlequin [Head Props Mistress, Assistant Stage Manager, Assistant Charge Artist, Carpentry Crew, and Assistant Set Designer, Assistant Hair & Makeup, a and Wardrobe Crew], Drawing, Reading, Writing, Traveler, Photography, and Exploring abandoned buildings

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Major/ Year: FPA Concentration in Theater “Set Design”

Hometown: Amherst, MA

Libby Ryan-Small is not just stylish and eccentric, but is also hard working. She is always the person to go to when it comes to the inner workings of the technical of theater, or even when you need someone to talk to. She may not have known set design was her thing before coming to college, but since coming to MCLA she has graced our school with her professionalism and talent. Did we mention her rad, dark, clothing style that provides inspiration for anyone who is intrigued by the obscure and mysterious.

What inspires your fashion: “I’ve always like Alexander McQueen, I think it goes along with my passion with set, its creative and kind of out there. My style doesn’t fit into a category I just dress in what appeals to me.”

How long does it take you to decide what you are going to wear: “About ten fifteen minutes, the night before I lay them out.”

What’s your favorite book: “The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern.”

Are you excited to study abroad in London in spring semester and why: “I am excited to study abroad in London because I think its important for a set designer and student to immerse themselves and learn from different cultures. In terms of set design, it’s important to work in different technical departments in theater and also to learn from different people around you. It makes for a better set designer.”

What got you into set design: “I got into set design in college, previously I did sports. What stems my interest is that I like to learn new things—to learn in general I suppose—and when I came here I was undeclared because everything was interesting to me. Set design pulls learning new things, socializing, and arts together, and I like the creative aspect.”

What have you’ve been listening to recently: “A variety, it depends on the day. I like old stuff like The Civil Wars, The Mamas and Papas, Brand New, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Johnny Cash, Music Scores, Clearwater Credence, Gypsy and the Cat, and Anthony and the Johnsons.”

Why do you like the strange and unusual: “I like things that don’t usual have a set answer to them, or can’t be answered. Not knowing [things], or having multiple possibilities intrigues me more.”

Who’s your favorite Sherlock character: “Watson.”

What do you want to do after MCLA: “Well, hopefully do set design in New York and then go to London.”

Favorite spirit animal: “Hummingbird”

What is your favorite time period for clothing aesthetic:  “Victorian”

Favorite Color: “Black”

If you did not do theater what would you have wanted to do: “Work for Studio Ghibli.”

Fun fact about you:” I had two thumbs on my left hand when I was born.”

What are some of your many nicknames: “Libster, Liberoche, Libe, MadLibz, Liberty, etc.”

What does Urban Dictionary think about you: A short, wild, incoherent girl. She’s bizarre to many, but for those who take the time to get to know her, they find that truly she’s a kind, thoughtful and perfect girl. She’s beautiful in every way and has the most fantastic smile of any being. Extremely easy love and fall in love with, and always good for talking to and for cheering you up when you need it most. She’s loyal, smart and sweet, usually calm when unprovoked, and basically the best thing that’ll ever happen in your life. Everyone loves a Libby secretly.

Self-taught in photography, Domonique is currently a senior at MCLA majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing and literature. She is vice president of Photography Club and Education Club, along with being a photographer for Yearbook and general member of Harlequin, Craft Club, and such. In her spare time she enjoys spooky things and geeky things, dabbling in and out of the world of horror and anime. She hopes to overcome her problem with procrastination and one day be noticed by Senpai. But we will see.....next week on Dragon Ball Z!
Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.