jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

I have heard many times from females who are fed up with their boyfriends, or females who are struggling with a heartbreak, say “I’ll just become a lesbian.” I’m not going to lie, as a lesbian I have also said too many times to count, “I’m just gonna go straight.” However, at the end of the day, there is no difference between who you’re with. Not to mention, you can’t just “become” a sexual orientation. Of course, I and the other people who joke about this are not serious. It goes to show how similar the struggles are even within these relationships society has deemed as different. 

There are actually copious similarities between hetero and homo sexual relationships. The biggest one being that both couples encounter arguments. People are not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and it is common to aggravate your significant other. I have heard the words “I don’t know how you can date a girl. They’re so dramatic I would go crazy” or “I can’t even imagine dealing with two people having a period at the same time.” If I had a dollar for each time I heard that, let’s just say I would not have to worry about college tuition. The truth is even those who date males get frustrated and deal with mood swings and arguments, it has nothing to do with the gender of a person. It’s just the fact that we are people and by default we feel things, we can be annoying and we make mistakes. It’s human nature, we were not made to be perfect and do everything perfectly. 

Another huge thing that we all have in common is of course, love. Regardless of the genders in a relationship, there is love. Unconditional, amazing and world changing love. Most of us have the ability to fall hopelessly in love with someone who makes us happy. Despite how annoying and frustrating they may get at times. 

Relationships should not be dependent of a certain gender to be responsible of things, especially when it comes to dates. The “man” in the relationship should not be required to pay for each date, just because he is the man. Each partner should have their share of paying for the date, holding doors, and doing kind gestures for one another. This is expected in both hetero and homo sexual relationships. Especially if there is a more “butch” or a more “feminine” person in homosexual relationship. Which by the way, there is  no “man” in a lesbian relationship and there is no “female” in a gay relationship. That is the point of same sex relationships!       

Dating is hard and love is scary, we all know that. Being in a certain “type” of relationship does not change the fact that relationships aren’t easy. You will face challenges and obstacles no matter who you love, or what your sexual orientation is. Love is love, and it’s not always easy. 

Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.
A sarcastic redhead who is usually late.