Dealing with Roommates…and their Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Entering college, you often find yourself taking it day by day getting to know your roommate. However it’s an entirely different challenge when dealing with their friends.

While there is an abundance of ways to check out and communicate with your roomate via the internet, many roommates don’t become as familiar as they should before arriving to college. Among the many things roommates should know about each other, the most important would have to be their likes and dislikes. Knowing these things can save you from future disagreements that are sure to come eventually!

When building a relationship/friendship with your roommate it is always a good to idea establish boundaries, especially with their friends and your room. Is it okay for them to sit on your bed? Or do you prefer they remain on your roommate’s side of the room? These are questions every college students will have to ask themselves and their roommate at least once.

Freshmen year is the time that every teengaer realizes just how expensive it is to further your education. With or without a job, you tend to think twice about your purchases more often. Therefore iif someone comes in your room and eats your food, you are likely to become irritated fast. When situations like this arise it is important to remember not to let your anger get the best of you, especially when you are so angry that you are blinded by your rage.

The first thing to do is to address the problem with your roommate’s friend. Tell them how you feel in a calm way, and explain that eating your food or using your items is not okay. All you can do after this is hope for the best and that they don’t do it again. However, if it does happen again, then this time you talk to your roommate and tell her that maybe it’s not the best idea to bring their friend around when you’re not in the room. That way if they tried to do something that you wouldn’t approve of, you could correct them in the act.

If nothing is resolved even after talking to your roommate and their friend, then maybe you might want to consider different living arrangements. Or, if you are like me and get along with your roommate perfectly well, and couldn’t imagine yourself living with someone else, you have to find a way to deal with it.

When I first got to college, I hung around our floor’s lounging area a lot. From time to time I still do when there are multiple people in my room, and it’s not the best environment to focus on my homework. Usually people will respect the space of the common area if they see that you are working on homework.

Don’t let the problem with a friend of your roommate’s create an even bigger problem between you and your roommate. Both you and your roommate have to remember that you are sharing a room, therefore you both are entitled to decide what goes on within those four walls. As long as you both are honest with each other and come to some sort of an agreement, then everyone will be able to coexist peacefully.

Shunquell Dennis is one big marching band geek, or so she use to be. Now she is a freshmen majoring in English/Communications with a double concentration in Broadcast Media and Journalism at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. When she's not doing homework, she loves to strum tunes on her Ukulele or re-watch episodes of Breaking Bad with her boyfriend. Everyday she aspires to to be as straight forward and honest as Gordan Ramsay because she strongly believes honesty is the best policy.